That's the lede from the Democrats' new assignments for their incoming senators. The other ones that have the pontential to matter:
- Sen. Michael Bennet moves from the Budget Committee to the Finance Committee, which puts him into much closer contact with the financial industry right as he takes over the Democratic Senatorial Campaign Committee.
- Tammy Baldwin, arguably the most progressive new member of the new Senate, gets Homeland Security, Budget, HELP (Health, Education, Labor), and Aging.
- Angus King, the independent who's caucusing with Democrats, gets Budget, Rules, Armed Services and Intelligence for his troubles.
- Sen. Mary Landrieu, arguably the most endangered Democrat up in 2014, chairs the Small Business committee -- again, nice connections to industry. Same with Sen. Jay Rockefeller, who's up in 2014 and chairs Commerce.
Anyway, the lede is right. The Warren move makes Banking committee work and hearings much more interesting to reporters. It's a defeat for an industry that funded the campaign against her, and wanted to keep her off when she got to D.C.
TODAY IN SLATE
Meet the New Bosses
How the Republicans would run the Senate.
The Government Is Giving Millions of Dollars in Electric-Car Subsidies to the Wrong Drivers
Scotland Is Just the Beginning. Expect More Political Earthquakes in Europe.
Cheez-Its. Ritz. Triscuits.
Why all cracker names sound alike.
Friends Was the Last Purely Pleasurable Sitcom
This Whimsical Driverless Car Imagines Transportation in 2059
- Protesters Take to the Streets to Sound Alarm on Climate Change in New York, Across the World
- Knife-Carrying White House Jumper is Vet who Feared “Atmosphere Was Collapsing”
- North Korea: American Sentenced to Hard Labor Wanted to Become “Second Snowden”
- Almost One in Four Americans Support Idea of Splitting From the Union
Did America Get Fat by Drinking Diet Soda?
A high-profile study points the finger at artificial sweeteners.