When a scandal (or "scandal") takes on real heft, three different sorts of e-mails start invading my inbox.
1) Letters from real humans who want me to know what they really think about the story.
2) Requests or questions from non-American media that want to cover the story.
3) Pitches from consumer organizations that sniff out any chance to pitch their wares.
I’m the content manager at Salary.com. I know you’re busy covering the Hilary Rosen/Ann Romney flap, and I’d like to provide some very pertinent numbers to use in one or more of your stories, with a local hook.
Every year Salary.com (based in Waltham) puts out our annual Mother’s Day Salary numbers, in which we take the top 10 “mom jobs” (as reported by more than 8,000 moms) and apply our salary data to them to come up with an estimated annual salary for stay-at-home moms and working moms alike. And as timing would have it, we just released this year’s number prior to the Rosen/Romney flap and it couldn’t be more pertinent.
Hilary Rosen’s comment that Ann Romney has “never worked a day in her life” as a stay-at-home mom has struck a chord with a lot of people. We’re hoping you’ll consider passing our Mom Survey on to your writers, as proof that SAHMs do work very hard and would be compensated well into the six figures if they were paid for their work.
Here’s our slideshow with Mom’s salary numbers included:
If you have any other questions or need a quote, please feel free to email me or call at any of the numbers below.
I haven't called yet.
TODAY IN SLATE
Justice Ginsburg’s Crucial Dissent in the Texas Voter ID Case
The Jarring Experience of Watching White Americans Speak Frankly About Race
How Facebook’s New Feature Could Come in Handy During a Disaster
The Most Ingenious Teaching Device Ever Invented
Sprawl, Decadence, and Environmental Ruin in Nevada
You Should Be Able to Sell Your Kidney
Or at least trade it for something.
- Texas Lab Worker on Cruise Tests Negative for Ebola as Dallas Hospital Apologizes
- Police Use Tear Gas to Break Up College Pumpkin Festival Turned Violent
- Racist Rancher Cliven Bundy Challenges Eric Holder in Bizarre Campaign Ad
- Supreme Court Allows Texas Law That Accepts Handgun Permits but not College IDs to Vote
An All-Female Mission to Mars
As a NASA guinea pig, I verified that women would be cheaper to launch than men.