Herman Cain announced his presidential exploratory committee during the all-enveloping story of the shootings in Tucson; Tim Pawlenty is announcing his while all eyes are on Libya and Japan. You can't control the news cycle, I guess, but Pawlenty's team is doing a fine job of rolling this out. Consider!
- Around 10 a.m., Team Pawlenty starts getting the word out that there will be an exclusive announcement on the man's Facebook page at 3 p.m.
- Reporters, hustling to confirm this, first report the announcement, then confirm that it's about an exploratory committee. Ben Smith posts exclusive audio of the a.m. conference call, which is both 1) newsy and 2) four minutes of the candidate, on-message, past the media filter.
- Excitement builds for 3 p.m. News that everyone expected becomes, sort of, news.
TODAY IN SLATE
Meet the New Bosses
How the Republicans would run the Senate.
The Government Is Giving Millions of Dollars in Electric-Car Subsidies to the Wrong Drivers
Scotland Is Just the Beginning. Expect More Political Earthquakes in Europe.
Cheez-Its. Ritz. Triscuits.
Why all cracker names sound alike.
Friends Was the Last Purely Pleasurable Sitcom
This Whimsical Driverless Car Imagines Transportation in 2059
- Protesters Take to the Streets to Sound Alarm on Climate Change in New York, Across the World
- Knife-Carrying White House Jumper is Vet who Feared “Atmosphere Was Collapsing”
- North Korea: American Sentenced to Hard Labor Wanted to Become “Second Snowden”
- Almost One in Four Americans Support Idea of Splitting From the Union
Did America Get Fat by Drinking Diet Soda?
A high-profile study points the finger at artificial sweeteners.