Toddler Survives Swallowing 37 Buckyballs Magnets

Toddler Survives Swallowing 37 Buckyballs Magnets

Toddler Survives Swallowing 37 Buckyballs Magnets

Trending News Channel
Videos Highlighting The Latest Search Trends.
March 6 2012 3:16 PM

Toddler Survives Swallowing 37 Buckyballs Magnets

Too much candy will get you a stomachache, but too many Buckyballs will get you stomach surgery.

A 3-year old girl is recovering after swallowing 37 of the rare earth magnets, which are marketed as desktop toys for adults. Payton Bushnell's parents thought the toddler might have the flu after she complained of stomach pains. An X-ray at the doctor’s office revealed the high-powered magnets and Payton underwent surgery to remove them.

The Buckyballs company released a statement on their website that read, "We urge all consumers to read and comply with the warnings we place on all our products, on our website, and in stores. Please keep these products out of the hands and reach of all children."

If swallowed, linked magnets can perforate the digestive tract. In 2006, 4 million building sets of the magnetic toy Magnetix were recalled after the Consumer Product Safety Commission deemed them unsafe.

Video produced by Jim Festante.