McCain’s concession symbolizes the passing of many torches,not the least of which is the completion of the most historic screwing over inmodern American politics. Consider the evidence:
- In the 2000 South Carolina primary, George W. Bush’s campaign conducted push polling suggesting that McCain had fathered an illegitimate black child. Bush won the state, halting McCain’s momentum from a win in New Hampshire and effectively ending his bid.
- One they reached the White House, the Bush Administration orchestrated a systematic effort to overload the executive branch with authority, doing its best to marginalize Congress—McCain’s milieu—and requiring absolute fealty from Republican lawmakers.
- In March 2003, Bush launched a war that most Republicans—and many Democrats—were politically compelled to support. That war became deeply unpopular.
- Bush’s plummeting popularity was instrumental to the Democrats’ takeover of both houses of Congress in 2006, further marginalizing McCain in the Senate.
- Bush left the nation deeply dissatisfied with Republicans and hungry for an alternative. It was that country in which McCain had to run for president.
How Ferguson Changed America A year ago Darren Wilson killed Michael Brown. What has followed has been the greatest national reckoning on racism since the beating of Rodney King.
The XX Factor
Planned Parenthood Defunding Vote Shows How Much the Right-Wing Fringe Owns Republicans
Donald Trump Said It’s “Disgusting” to Pump Milk in Front of Colleagues. So We Found A Lady Who Did.
Behind the Year of Outrage Here’s how Slate tracked down everything we were angry about in 2014.
What Happens When We Get It Wrong? Slate’s Corrections Czar Talks About Our Policy on Errors and Typos.
We Don’t Really Care About Car Accidents Driving is horrifyingly dangerous. It doesn’t need to be this way.
It Took 22 Years for the Women’s 1,500-Meters Record to Fall. What's the Fastest Humans Can Possibly Run?