San Bernardino shooting: Syed Farook reportedly had contacts suspected of terror ties.

San Bernardino Coroner’s Office Releases the Names of the 14 Shooting Victims

San Bernardino Coroner’s Office Releases the Names of the 14 Shooting Victims

The Slatest has moved! You can find new stories here.
The Slatest
Your News Companion
Dec. 3 2015 7:35 PM

San Bernardino Suspect Was in Contact With Subjects of Terror Investigations, CNN Says

499682268
Police officers in Redlands, California, investigate Wednesday's shooting in San Bernardino.

Photo by Justin Sullivan/Getty Images

Update, 7:35 p.m.: After notifying the families, the San Bernardino County coroner’s office released the names of the 14 victims killed on Wednesday. The Los Angeles Times has more info on each individual and is in the process of compiling biographical sketches.

Advertisement

Update, 1:10 p.m.: Police say that 12 pipe bombs and "thousands" of rounds of ammunition were found at Farook and Malik's home. It's been previously reported that three undetonated bombs were found at the Inland Regional Center after Wednesday's attack.

Update, 12:50 p.m.: Citing "law enforcement officials," CNN reports that Syed Farook "was in touch over the phone and via social media with more than one international terrorism subject who the FBI were already investigating." Farook, who was Muslim, may have been "radicalized," the network's sources say.

Original post, 9:03 a.m.: Here's what we know about Wednesday's massacre of at least 14 people at a social services center in San Bernardino, California, as of Thursday morning:

  • Police believe the shooting was carried out by 28-year-old Syed Farook and 27-year-old Tashfeen Malik, who were married. Both were killed Wednesday in a shootout in San Bernardino after they were initially located in nearby Redlands.
  • Syed Farook is a U.S. native of Pakistani ancestry who worked for the San Bernardino County Public Health Department, which was holding a holiday banquet in a room at the Inland Regional Center that was attacked. He's believed to have attended the gathering and left after a dispute before returning with his wife and opening fire.
  • A third person was taken into custody Wednesday around the time of the shootout with police, but San Bernardino police chief Jarrod Burguan says it's not clear whether that person was involved in the attack.
  • Weapons used in the attack are believed to have been purchased legally. Farook and Malik were dressed in "tactical" combat gear—black clothes and masks—suggesting that the attack was at least somewhat premeditated.
  • The couple, who may have met online, is survived by a 6-month-old daughter.

Farook and Malik's precise motive is not yet known; the New York Times reports that Farook "had not been the target of any active terrorism investigation."