The United States believes that Mohammed Emwazi, the British citizen who murdered James Foley and several other ISIS hostages, was killed in a drone strike on Thursday—with extrajudicial assistance from the U.K. In other news:
- Sister Souljah, the musician/activist and long-ago nemesis of Bill Clinton, compared Hillary Clinton to "the slave plantation white wife of the white 'Master.'"
- Republican presidential candidates suddenly started attacking the heck out of each other, highlighted by Donald Trump twice comparing Ben Carson to a child molester (!).
- CIA officials told Politico that the pre-9/11 warnings given to the Bush administration about al-Qaida were much more emphatic than had been previously reported.
- Amherst students demanded in perhaps overheated fashion that the school's president denounce its anachronistic/insulting mascot before 5 p.m. today.
- The dean of students at California's Claremont McKenna college resigned after writing in an ostensibly pro-tolerance email about racial issues on campus that non-white students "don't fit our mold."
- A Secret Service agent was arrested for trying to send sexually explicit text messages to a 14-year-old, some of which were allegedly sent from the White House.
- And the feds are planning to ban smoking in public housing.
Have a good day out there.