California Republican Kevin McCarthy, the presumed favorite to take over for John Boehner as Speaker of the House, suddenly dropped out of the race for that position on Thursday in a major Capitol Hill shockeroo. In other news:
- Paul Ryan almost immediately said he didn't want the job (though rumor has it John Boehner is trying to talk him into it).
- The kind of people who are amused by such things were amused that McCarthy dropped out just hours after being endorsed by Dick Cheney.
- One of the Americans who helped foil an August terrorist attack on a train in France was stabbed and severely wounded in an area of Sacramento known for nightlife.
- Jeb Bush claimed Washington, D.C. is "not part of [his] DNA," which is incorrect.
- Russia (which is sort of but not entirely fighting a proxy war aginst the U.S.) tried to shoot missiles into Syria but they landed in Iran.
- The prosecutor who investigated Michael Brown's death at the hands of Darren Wilson won a "Prosecutor of the Year" award.
- Senate Democrats prepared to propose a bill, which will likely fail, which would close loopholes that can allow criminals to obtain guns.
- And Urban Outfitters "asked" its salaried employees in Philadelphia to "volunteer" to do manual labor in a rural warehouse, for team-building and whatnot.
Have a good day out there!