Hello, Slatest readers! Here be the Wednesday news.
- Hurricane Joaquin is threatening to rock the East Coast like a hurricane.
- Pope Francis, he of the un-pin-downable politicial ideology, turns out to have met with right-wing hero Kim Davis during his visit to the United States.
- He's also asked Oklahoma's governor to stop the execution of Richard Glossip, who may be innocent.
- Meanwhile, a woman named Kim Gissendaner who had become a respected in-prison minister was executed in Georgia.
- South Carolinan Benghazi gadfly Trey Gowdy may be angling to take over as Speaker of the House—or he might be quitting Congress. Who knows?
- Afghanistan is in a state of particularly chaotic Afghanistan-style bloody chaos right now; here's why.
Have a good day out there.