Michigan quarterback concussion: School admits to mistake.

Michigan Admits That Quarterback Likely Played With Concussion

Michigan Admits That Quarterback Likely Played With Concussion

The Slatest
Your News Companion
Sept. 30 2014 10:03 AM

Michigan Admits in 1 a.m. News Release That Quarterback Likely Played With Concussion

513052921LH018_MINNESOTA_V_
Morris is No. 7.

Photo by Leon Halip/Getty Images

Over the weekend and into Monday, a college sports story turned into national news as Michigan's football team repeatedly insisted it had not reinserted quarterback Shane Morris in a game with a concussion despite what seemed like clear evidence that Morris was, at the least, never fully checked for concussion symptoms. Coach Brady Hoke released two statements asserting that he had not played Morris without medical clearance and said as much again in a press conference on Monday. But at sometime around 1 a.m. this morning, Michigan's athletic director released a statement confirming that Morris had likely been concussed during the game:

Following the game, a comprehensive concussion evaluation was completed and Shane has been evaluated twice since the game. As of Sunday, Shane was diagnosed with a probable, mild concussion, and a high ankle sprain. That probable concussion diagnosis was not at all clear on the field on Saturday or in the examination that was conducted post-game.
Advertisement

The statement blamed the in-game failure on poor communication between coaches and medical staff, asserting that trainers did not realize Morris had taken a hit to the head area and were instead checking his ankle. But it's still unclear why, on Monday, no one had yet told Michigan's football coach that Morris had been diagnosed with a likely concussion on Sunday.

Here's video from the game in question.