Donald Sterling Approves Clippers Sale, Withdraws Lawsuit Against NBA

The Slatest
Your News Companion by Ben Mathis-Lilley
June 4 2014 7:32 PM

Donald Sterling Approves Clippers Sale, Withdraws Lawsuit Against NBA

Was8560267
Donald Sterling agrees to sell Clippers.

Photo by ROBYN BECK/AFP/Getty Images

Donald Sterling has given finally given up. After sending signals the Los Angeles Clippers owner wasn’t going to go quietly, on Wednesday, Sterling’s lawyer told ESPN Sterling “has approved the sale of the Los Angeles Clippers to former Microsoft CEO Steve Ballmer and won't pursue further legal action related to the transaction.”

Here’s more on Sterling’s decision from the Associated Press:

Sterling ''has made an agreement with the NBA to resolve all their differences'' and as co-owner has given his consent to a deal that was negotiated by his wife, Shelly Sterling, to sell the team, said attorney Maxwell Blecher.
Donald Sterling sued the NBA in federal court last week alleging the NBA violated his constitutional rights by relying on information from an ''illegal'' recording that publicized racist remarks he made to a girlfriend. It also says the league committed a breach of contract by fining Sterling $2.5 million and that it violated antitrust laws by trying to force a sale. Blecher said the suit will be dismissed.

Elliot Hannon is a writer in Washington, D.C. Follow him on Twitter.

  Slate Plus
Slate Archives
Nov. 26 2014 12:36 PM Slate Voice: “If It Happened There,” Thanksgiving Edition Josh Keating reads his piece on America’s annual festival pilgrimage.