How $11.4 Million in Newtown Donations Will Be Divided

The Slatest
Your News Companion by Ben Mathis-Lilley
July 12 2013 12:22 PM

How $11.4 Million in Newtown Donations Will Be Divided

170545716
People attend a remembrance event on the six month anniversary of the massacre at Sandy Hook Elementary School on June 14, 2013 in Newtown, Conn.

Photo by Spencer Platt/Getty Images

The foundation tasked with divvying up the $11.4 million dollars in donations that poured into Newtown in the wake of the Sandy Hook Elementary School shooting is out with its preliminary recommendations for the cash. The top-line number: The 26 families of those killed in the shooting would each receive $281,000 under the plan.

Jennifer Lai Jennifer Lai

Jennifer Lai is an associate editor at Slate.

The Newtown-Sandy Hook Community Foundation had already made the somewhat controversial decision that 30 percent of the cash would be set aside for undefined community needs, such as future mental health care, a permanent memorial for the victims, or scholarships for Sandy Hook students. But on Thursday the group offered a more complete breakdown of the larger slice of the pie that will be shared by those directly affected by the massacre. NBC News with the numbers:

The plan calls for 95 percent of the $7.7 million to go to the families of deceased victims, with the remaining 5 percent reserved for two people who were injured during the shooting and the families whose children witnessed the attack.
The 26 families of the deceased will each receive $281,000 under the plan. The two injured may receive a total of $150,000, while those whose children witnessed the shooting may receive $20,000 each. The proposal states that 12 families are eligible to claim their children witnessed the shooting.
Advertisement

Not everyone's happy with the decision, of course, with some questioning how the 70/30 split came about in the first place. As NBC News notes, some family members have complained about the lack of transparency in the decision-making process, and are asking for an independent figure to oversee the fund.

But, as attorney Kenneth Feinberg explained, that's par for the course in these type of no-win situations.  "Is the money adequate? Of course not," said Feinberg, who worked on the September 11th Victim Compensation Fund. "No amount is adequate to deal with these horrors. Money is a pretty poor substitute but that's what we have. Solomon himself could not distribute this money in a fashion that would please everybody."

TODAY IN SLATE

Politics

The Irritating Confidante

John Dickerson on Ben Bradlee’s fascinating relationship with John F. Kennedy.

My Father Invented Social Networking at a Girls’ Reform School in the 1930s

Renée Zellweger’s New Face Is Too Real

Sleater-Kinney Was Once America’s Best Rock Band

Can it be again?

The All The President’s Men Scene That Captured Ben Bradlee

Medical Examiner

Is It Better to Be a Hero Like Batman?

Or an altruist like Bruce Wayne?

Technology

Driving in Circles

The autonomous Google car may never actually happen.

The World’s Human Rights Violators Are Signatories on the World’s Human Rights Treaties

How Punctual Are Germans?

  News & Politics
Politics
Oct. 22 2014 12:44 AM We Need More Ben Bradlees His relationship with John F. Kennedy shows what’s missing from today’s Washington journalism.
  Business
Moneybox
Oct. 21 2014 5:57 PM Soda and Fries Have Lost Their Charm for Both Consumers and Investors
  Life
The Vault
Oct. 21 2014 2:23 PM A Data-Packed Map of American Immigration in 1903
  Double X
The XX Factor
Oct. 21 2014 3:03 PM Renée Zellweger’s New Face Is Too Real
  Slate Plus
Behind the Scenes
Oct. 21 2014 1:02 PM Where Are Slate Plus Members From? This Weird Cartogram Explains. A weird-looking cartogram of Slate Plus memberships by state.
  Arts
Brow Beat
Oct. 21 2014 9:42 PM The All The President’s Men Scene That Perfectly Captured Ben Bradlee’s Genius
  Technology
Technology
Oct. 21 2014 11:44 PM Driving in Circles The autonomous Google car may never actually happen.
  Health & Science
Climate Desk
Oct. 21 2014 11:53 AM Taking Research for Granted Texas Republican Lamar Smith continues his crusade against independence in science.
  Sports
Sports Nut
Oct. 20 2014 5:09 PM Keepaway, on Three. Ready—Break! On his record-breaking touchdown pass, Peyton Manning couldn’t even leave the celebration to chance.