As a standoff unfolded between law enforcement and Boston Marathon suspect Dzhokhar Tsarnaev Friday night, the Boston Globe reported that three people had been taken into custody in New Bedford, Massachusetts. New Bedford police also said that they assisted federal officials in carrying out a search warrant on a house in the coastal city. The Washington Post also spoke to a police officer who said they were collecting evidence on the scene.
BREAKING NEWS: Three people taken into custody in New Bedford as part of Boston Marathon terror bombing investigation.-- The Boston Globe (@BostonGlobe) April 20, 2013
BREAKING NEWS: New Bedford police say they assisted feds in executing a search warrant on home in New Bedford.-- The Boston Globe (@BostonGlobe) April 20, 2013
We don’t know much else about the three people taken into custody at this point. It may or may not be relevant that the University of Massachusetts - Dartmouth evacuated its campus on Friday morning, according to the Associated Press, after confirming that the suspect at large is a registered student there. The school neighbors New Bedford to the west, and is about an hour’s drive from the Boston area where the standoff with Dzhokhar was playing out.
We will update this post with any more information as the story unfolds.
Update, April 20, 12:14 a.m.: The suspects have been released. "No one was detained. No one was arrested," a spokesman for the Massachussetts FBI told Reuters.
The FBI questioned & released 3 in New Bedford, Mass in connection to Boston bombing. No one was detained, no one was arrested, FBI told me.-- Edith Honan (@edithhonan) April 20, 2013