The new numbers are from Quinnipiac University, which asked about nine hypothetical head-to-head matchups among one of three Democrats (Hillary Clinton, Joe Biden, Andrew Cuomo) and one of three Republicans (Chris Christie, Marco Rubio, Paul Ryan). As always with this type of polling, name recognition goes a long way toward early support. The top-line takeaways:
- Clinton wins (3 of 3): 45 percent to Christie's 37, 50 to Ryan's 38, and 50 to Rubio's 24.
- Christie wins (2 of 3): 43 to Biden's 40, and 45 to Cuomo's 28.
- Biden wins (2 of 3): 45 to Rubio's 38, and 45 to Ryan's 42.
- Ryan wins (1 of 3): 42 to Cuomo's 37
- Tie: Rubio and Cuomo at 37 percent apiece.
If there's a surprise here, it's probably how well Biden fares in his matchups, besting both Ryan and Rubio and hanging tight with Chris Christie. More numbers here. (MoE +/- 2.2)