on Chicago's Lake Shore Drive yesterday as the city was walloped by a near-record 20.2 inches of snow. Hang on: 20.2 inches? That's it? Didn't Silver Spring, MD, get more than that just last year?
The Chicago Tribune, in its excitement over what passes for historic snowfall in Chicago, posted a
the city has ever seen:
1. 23.0 inches on Jan. 26-27, 1967
2. 21.6 inches on Jan .1-3, 1999
3. 20.2 inches on Feb. 1-2, 2011
4. 19.2 inches on March 25-26, 1930
5. 18.8 inches on Jan. 13-14, 1979
Aww! Twenty-three whole inches. Here, for comparison, are the
for my native Baltimore—a city whose citizens are always mocking themselves for how easily they panic over winter storms, as un-hardy residents of the mid-Atlantic:
1. 26.8 inches (Feb. 16-18 2003)
2. 26.6 inches (Jan. 7-9, 1996)
3. 26.5 inches (Jan. 27-29, 1922)
4. 25.0 inches (Feb. 5-6, 2010)
5. 22.8 inches (Feb. 11, 1983)
That's right: Baltimore has beaten Chicago's worst snowstorm three times in the past 15 years alone. If it had happened in Baltimore, the Second City's current whopping snowfall would have just squeaked past the Washington's Birthday storm of 1979 for eighth place.
Basically, when you hear someone from Chicago say "record-breaking snowfall," that's what we on the East Coast call "last winter."
TODAY IN SLATE
The Most Terrifying Thing About Ebola
The disease threatens humanity by preying on humanity.
I Bought the Huge iPhone. I’m Already Thinking of Returning It.
Scotland Is Just the Beginning. Expect More Political Earthquakes in Europe.
Students Aren’t Going to College Football Games as Much Anymore
And schools are getting worried.
Global Marches Demand Action on Climate Change
- Protesters Take to the Streets to Sound Alarm on Climate Change in New York, Across the World
- Knife-Carrying White House Jumper is Vet who Feared “Atmosphere Was Collapsing”
- North Korea: American Sentenced to Hard Labor Wanted to Become “Second Snowden”
- Almost One in Four Americans Support Idea of Splitting From the Union
Blacks Don’t Have a Corporal Punishment Problem
Americans do. But when blacks exhibit the same behaviors as others, it becomes part of a greater black pathology.