Here are some of this week's Human Nature short takes on the news. To get them in real time, subscribe to the HN Twitter feed .
1. Mayor on Chicago's surveillance network: "cameras are the next best thing" to cops. http://bit.ly/syCfU Prediction: Domestic drones are next.
2. Latest totalitarian hubris: central weather planning http://bit.ly/47M3a6 Didn't work for shamans, won't work for China, Cuba, or Venezuela.
4. Penis-numbing spray prevents premature ejaculation: http://bit.ly/3bsu8i Overdose might have saved Bill Clinton, John Edwards, Mark Foley...
6. Dispersed insurgents force US to disperse surveillance & communications to soldiers: http://bit.ly/4sspv2 Infantry is becoming white-collar.
7. "Data does not tell us what to do" in medicine; we must consult "values." GOP on stem cells? No, Dems on breast cancer: http://bit.ly/2axkNH
8. Stupak consolation: No abortion coverage, but contraceptive coverage would cut your risk of having to pay for abortion. http://bit.ly/3nUFke
9. Latest female arousal drug: http://bit.ly/1YjUYL I've seen such hype before. But at least they're targeting the brain now, not the vagina.
11. As smokers decline to 20% or 15% of population, it becomes economically logical to ban them from apartment buildings. http://bit.ly/4hPmjk
12. "The IED has now replaced direct-fire weapons as the enemy's weapon of choice." http://bit.ly/31auLJ Surveillance, not combat, is the future.
13. God bless this effort to teach mullahs contraception: http://bit.ly/1JcRXf But the surest way to control population is to empower women.
14. 26 gallons of water from a single moon probe impact: http://bit.ly/4pxXSK That's a lot of water. Moon habitation is looking more plausible.
15. Scary theory: By boosting your impression of alertness, caffeine dangerously masks the intoxicating effects of alcohol. http://bit.ly/1ofV83
16. The Vatican may burn a heretic now & then, but the arc of Catholic science bends toward curiosity: http://bit.ly/2HeIZp Also best lede ever.
18. Laptop porn-viewing in public: http://bit.ly/2CrSyH Another sign we're mentally drifting out of physical/social reality and into cyberspace.