With no steering wheel, no gas pedal, and no driver, Google’s new driverless car isn’t just a potentially revolutionary transportation technology. Thanks to the zoomorphic arrangement of its headlamps, radar, and grille, it’s also an instantly divisive icon of early-21st-century automotive style. Just what it resembles, however, is in the eye of the beholder. Here are 13 things people are convinced it looks like.
1. A koala
2. An armadillo
3. An owl
4. A mouse
5. No, the other kind of mouse
6. A Roomba
7. A Chrysler Peapod
9. The evil air conditioner from The Brave Little Toaster
10. Jake from Adventure Time
12. The little Totoros that follow along behind Totoro
13. The future
TODAY IN SLATE
The Most Terrifying Thing About Ebola
The disease threatens humanity by preying on humanity.
I Bought the Huge iPhone. I’m Already Thinking of Returning It.
Scotland Is Just the Beginning. Expect More Political Earthquakes in Europe.
Students Aren’t Going to College Football Games as Much Anymore
And schools are getting worried.
Global Marches Demand Action on Climate Change
- Protesters Take to the Streets to Sound Alarm on Climate Change in New York, Across the World
- Knife-Carrying White House Jumper is Vet who Feared “Atmosphere Was Collapsing”
- North Korea: American Sentenced to Hard Labor Wanted to Become “Second Snowden”
- Almost One in Four Americans Support Idea of Splitting From the Union