This week M. Night Shyamalan releases I Got Schooled, a book in which he promises The Five Keys to Closing America’s Education Gap. Below, we offer our seven best guesses for the book’s surprise twist ending.
1. The fifth key is water.
2. There are actually only four keys.
3. The keys are actually rules to sabotage the education system, so Shyamalan can slow the progress of his precocious arch-nemesis, Billy.
4. The book is revealed to be a fairy tale. It gets more confusing from there.
5. The keys are plants.
6. Shyamalan attacks a series of straw men—who turn out to just be men dressed up in straw.
7. The gap was closed the entire time.
TODAY IN SLATE
The Self-Made Man
The story of America’s most pliable, pernicious, irrepressible myth.
Michigan’s Tradition of Football “Toughness” Needs to Go—Starting With Coach Hoke
Does Your Child Have “Sluggish Cognitive Tempo”? Or Is That Just a Disorder Made Up to Scare You?
The First Case of Ebola in America Has Been Diagnosed in Dallas
Why Indians in America Are Mad for India’s New Prime Minister
Now Stare. Don’t Stop.
The perfect political wife’s loving gaze in campaign ads.
You Deserve a Pre-cation
The smartest job perk you’ve never heard of.