If you’re a Terrence Malick fan, you should see his new movie To the Wonder. But you should also know that it’s perhaps his most Malicky movie yet, with enough whirling and twirling and whispered voice-over to fill a dozen Trees of Life. Most of this comes from stars Olga Kurylenko and Ben Affleck, whose characters fall for each other while visiting a seaside cathedral (“We climbed the steps … to the wonder”). The priest played by Javier Bardem is also heard pondering the nature of love. With all these whisperings and wonderings about timelessness and devotion (not to mention the model-prettiness of Kurylenko, Affleck, and their co-star Rachel McAdams), it can at times begin to feel like a De Beers ad.
How much so? Well, below you’ll find a list of lines from To the Wonder and from De Beers diamond jewelry commercials. Can you tell the difference?
To the Wonder or De Beers Jewelry Commercial: A Quiz
1. “Love is not only a feeling. You show love.”
2. “You say it with more brilliance. More depth. More fire.”
3. “You must travel back in time one billion years to witness its birth.”
4. “Into the eternal night. A spark.”
5. “I in you. You in me.”
6. “The thousand tiny pieces that compose our life gravitate around her.”
7. “Love makes us one. Two. One.”
8. “She is the force that holds us all together.”
9. “You got me out of the darkness. You gathered me up from Earth.”
10. “My sweet love. My hope.”
11. “She is my everything.”
12. “Because of her the most beautiful things started to grow.”
13. “It’s hard to imagine my life before her.”
14. “Know each other in that love that never changes.”
15. “Love is a journey that knows no end.”
16. “A husband does not find his wife lovely. He makes her lovely.”
Highlight below to reveal the answers:
(1) To the Wonder, (2) De Beers, (3) De Beers, (4) To the Wonder, (5) To the Wonder, (6) De Beers, (7) To the Wonder, (8) De Beers, (9) To the Wonder, (10) To the Wonder, (11) De Beers, (12) De Beers, (13) De Beers, (14) To the Wonder, (15) De Beers, (16) To the Wonder
YouTube sources for De Beers ads, in order: 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8
TODAY IN SLATE
Here’s Where We Stand With Ebola
Even experienced international disaster responders are shocked at how bad it’s gotten.
Why Are Lighter-Skinned Latinos and Asians More Likely to Vote Republican?
A Woman Who Escaped the Extreme Babymaking Christian Fundamentalism of Quiverfull
Subprime Loans Are Back
And believe it or not, that’s a good thing.
It Is Very Stupid to Compare Hope Solo to Ray Rice
In Defense of HR
Startups and small businesses shouldn’t skip over a human resources department.