Lambchop has been called “arguably the most consistently brilliant and unique American group to emerge during the 1990s.” Their music combines “classic country, R&B, and musique concrète with the heavily conceptual impulses of modern art,” and they have just put out their 11th studio album (to go along with compilations, EPs, and live recordings).
As has become typical for Lambchop, the new album is garnering raves. But if you’ve never listened to the band, where should you start? We asked Dan Kois to recommend 10 essential songs, and we put them together on a Spotify playlist. His selections are below.
1. “Soaky in the Pooper” from I Hope You’re Sitting Down (1994)
2. “The Man Who Loved Beer” from How I Quit Smoking (1996)
3. “Grumpus” from Nixon (2000)
4. “What Else Could It Be” from Nixon (2000)
5. “Loretta Lung” from The Decline of Country & Western Civilization Part II: The Woodwind Years (2006)
6. “The New Cobweb Summer” from Is A Woman (2002)
7. “Is A Woman” from Is A Woman (2002)
8. “I Haven’t Heard a Word I’ve Said” from Aw C’mon (2004)
9. “What Goes Up” from Stroke: Songs For Chris Knox (2010)
10. “If Not I’ll Just Die” from Mr. M (2012)
Listen to this playlist on Spotify: Where to Start with Lambchop
Previously: Where Do I Start with Whitney Houston?