In an effort to cast Sarah Palin as a … I’m not going there … for not believing in global warming, Vagina Monologues playwright Eve Ensler, in an appearance on the Joy Behar Show , made herself look utterly foolish in saying that global warming causes earthquakes and tsunamis. Maybe she takes her cues from Danny Glover , who blamed the Haitian earthquake specifically on global warming. Or maybe she’s well-read and has cherry-picked bits of a highly speculative theory that holds that, in the cases of catastrophic sea-level increases, there’s a small chance that all that heavy water could increase seismic activity.
Or maybe she just doesn’t know what she’s talking about. I couldn’t agree more with blogger Ann Althouse, who suggests that "When you want to call somebody dumb, try not to say anything dumb." At any rate, if three examples make a trend, we’re only one celebrity shy of turning this into a full-blown meme. Anyone? Maybe Robert Kennedy Jr. will weigh in once he digs out .
* Correction, Feb. 10, 2010: The headline of the post originally said "hurricanes" instead of "earthquakes."
TODAY IN SLATE
Meet the New Bosses
How the Republicans would run the Senate.
The Government Is Giving Millions of Dollars in Electric-Car Subsidies to the Wrong Drivers
Scotland Is Just the Beginning. Expect More Political Earthquakes in Europe.
Cheez-Its. Ritz. Triscuits.
Why all cracker names sound alike.
Friends Was the Last Purely Pleasurable Sitcom
This Whimsical Driverless Car Imagines Transportation in 2059
- Protesters Take to the Streets to Sound Alarm on Climate Change in New York, Across the World
- Knife-Carrying White House Jumper is Vet who Feared “Atmosphere Was Collapsing”
- North Korea: American Sentenced to Hard Labor Wanted to Become “Second Snowden”
- Almost One in Four Americans Support Idea of Splitting From the Union
Did America Get Fat by Drinking Diet Soda?
A high-profile study points the finger at artificial sweeteners.