My Dragon*Con 2013 Schedule

Bad Astronomy
The entire universe in blog form
Aug. 26 2013 10:30 AM

My Dragon*Con 2013 Schedule

dragoncon logo

Art by Dragon*Con.

From Aug. 29 – Sep. 2, 2013, I’ll be in Atlanta Georgia attending the annual Dragon*Con convention! This is one of my favorite events of the year: A vast, sprawling meeting of fans of every kind of fiction genre around. But that means lots of folks interested in space and astronomy are there, too, so there’s a solid variety of fact and fiction represented. It’s always a fantastic time. Exhausting, but wonderful.

Phil Plait Phil Plait

Phil Plait writes Slate’s Bad Astronomy blog and is an astronomer, public speaker, science evangelizer, and author of Death From the Skies!

I’m doing several panels and shows, and even giving a talk this year. My schedule is below. If you’re going to D*C, drop by one of these events and say hi! Reminder: There’s a handy online app to find panels, panelists, and events; you can find me there. There are also PDFs of the program and scheduling grid, too.

Atlanta Star Party

Every year, I participate in the Atlanta Star Party, which has talks by astronomers and star gazing (weather permitted). It's a lot of fun, and this year we're raising money for Cosmoquest. It's currently sold out, but there's a waiting list.

Logistics: Thursday at 7:00 p.m. at the Emory Math & Science Center, 400 Dowman Dr., Atlanta, GA 30322.

But I Play One on TV

I’ll be on a panel with My Close Personal Friend™ and Mythbuster Adam Savage, where we’ll be swapping stories about communicating science to the public. It’s moderated by Veronica Belmont, who also is awesome.

Logistics: Friday at 2:30 p.m. in the Marriott Atrium Ballroom

Incoming! There's an Asteroid With Earth's Name on It

Asteroids are one of my favorite topics, and I’ll be on a panel with geophysicist (and “Stargate: Universe” science advisor) Mika McKinnon talking impacts and how to prevent them.

Logistics: Friday at 5:30 p.m. in Hilton 309-310

Quiz-O-Tron 2000

Every year, Skepchick Rebecca Watson hosts a raucous and, um, adult-themed science quiz show. This is always very funny and a great time. Other scheduled panelists are Jon David Hotchkiss, Drew Curtis, Joseph Scrimshaw, and Ken Plume.

Logistics: Friday at 10:00 p.m. in Hilton 204-207

CosmoQuest Booth

I'll be loitering at the CosmoQuest booth with Dr. Nicole Gugliucci and Dr. Pamela Gay, chatting with folks and available to sign things if you have them (I won't have books with me). Stop by and say hi!

Logistics: Saturday at 2:00 p.m. at the CosmosQuest booth in the Hilton, near the Grand Ballroom (where the Walk of Fame used to be).

Gonzaroo II

This is Ken Plume’s ridiculously fun variety show, which features comedy, music, and overall goofiness. Last year I did a short comedy bit with Joseph Scrimshaw, and this year, well, who knows? I’ll be there for the first part, since I have another panel that overlaps the second half of the show.

Logistics: Saturday at 8:30 p.m. in the Marriott Main Atrium Ballroom.

The Kevin & Phil Show

Astronomer Dr. Kevin Grazier (science advisor for “Battlestar Galactica”, “Defiance”, and the upcoming flick “Gravity”) and I chat informally (and usually quite snarkily) about stuff. This year’s topic is “Space in the Time of Sequester”, but we generally go way off topic in this discussion. We’ve done this every year now for several years, and it’s turned into something of a fan-favorite, to our delight.

Logistics: Saturday at 10:00 p.m. in the Hilton Grand Ballroom West

10 (or so) Amazing Facts About Our Solar System

My first ever stand-up talk at Dragon*Con! I’ll go over the objects in our solar system, picking out one thing about each that amazes me personally. They probably will you, too. This is aimed at the general audience, and as usual, I’ll show pretty pictures, talk cool science, and make several dumb jokes and brilliant puns.

Logistics: Sunday at 11:30 a.m. in Hilton 309-310

Gonzo Game Show IV: The Quest for Quiz

Another Ken Plume extravaganza, where well-known panelists are asked silly questions, try to figure out if other panelists are lying, and are forced to sing (I had “Rocket Man” as my song last year, which I botched gloriously). Rumor has it there will be an improv competition this year. This is a great way to wrap up the con’s last official night, unless enjoying yourself is something you don’t enjoy.

That’s it! As usual I’ll be everywhere during my off-panel times, wandering the floor, fanboying over science fiction doyens and doyennes, and generally having a terrific time.

TODAY IN SLATE

Justice Ginsburg’s Crucial Dissent in the Texas Voter ID Case

Even When They Go to College, the Poor Sometimes Stay Poor

Here’s Just How Far a Southern Woman May Have to Drive to Get an Abortion

The Most Ingenious Teaching Device Ever Invented

Marvel’s Civil War Is a Far-Right Paranoid Fantasy

It’s also a mess. Can the movies do better?

Behold

Sprawl, Decadence, and Environmental Ruin in Nevada

Space: The Next Generation

An All-Female Mission to Mars

As a NASA guinea pig, I verified that women would be cheaper to launch than men.

Watching Netflix in Bed. Hanging Bananas. Is There Anything These Hooks Can’t Solve?

The Procedural Rule That Could Prevent Gay Marriage From Reaching SCOTUS Again

News & Politics
Politics
Oct. 20 2014 3:53 PM Smash and Grab Will competitive Senate contests in Kansas and South Dakota lead to more late-breaking races in future elections?
  Business
Continuously Operating
Oct. 20 2014 3:40 PM Keeping It in the Family Why are so many of the world’s oldest companies in Japan?
  Life
Outward
Oct. 20 2014 3:16 PM The Catholic Church Is Changing, and Celibate Gays Are Leading the Way
  Double X
The XX Factor
Oct. 20 2014 1:10 PM Women Are Still Losing Jobs for Getting Pregnant
  Slate Plus
Tv Club
Oct. 20 2014 7:15 AM The Slate Doctor Who Podcast: Episode 9 A spoiler-filled discussion of "Flatline."
  Arts
Brow Beat
Oct. 20 2014 5:03 PM Marcel the Shell Is Back and as Endearing as Ever
  Technology
Future Tense
Oct. 20 2014 4:59 PM Canadian Town Cancels Outdoor Halloween Because Polar Bears
  Health & Science
Medical Examiner
Oct. 20 2014 11:46 AM Is Anybody Watching My Do-Gooding? The difference between being a hero and being an altruist.
  Sports
Sports Nut
Oct. 20 2014 10:23 AM Where I Was Wrong About the Royals I underestimated the value of building a team that’s just barely better than mediocre.