I make no excuses for my love of Doctor Who, and one of my favorite things about it since it was rebooted back in 2005 has been the music. I have always loved the title theme (originally written by Ron Grainer), ever since I was a little kid, and the modern orchestral reworking of it by Murray Gold is magnificent. I listen to the soundtracks all the time.
Gold wrote a new theme for The Doctor for Matt Smith's version of the character, called "I Am the Doctor", and it's fantastic. It's got an odd beat to it, because it's in 7 (as opposed to the usual 2, 3 or 4 beats per measure of most music). A bit off-kilter, just like the Time Lord himself, and with an underlying momentum and power. Also like The Doctor.
And that's why I love this video: Murray Gold playing the theme on the piano -- which he posted pseudonymously to YouTube!
Very cool. I'm looking forward to getting the Series 6 soundtrack as soon as it's available here in the US. But for now, I think I'll just go have a listen to this track from Series 5 played by the National Orchestra of Wales. Allons-y!
Tip o' the sonic screwdriver to The Nerdist!
- TV scientists that even real scientists approve of (An article I wrote for Blastr.com)
- Doctor Who fan trailer to tide you over
- Dragon*Con 2011
- Doctor Who infographic
- An observatory that’s bigger on the inside
TODAY IN SLATE
Justice Ginsburg’s Crucial Dissent in the Texas Voter ID Case
The Jarring Experience of Watching White Americans Speak Frankly About Race
How Facebook’s New Feature Could Come in Handy During a Disaster
The Most Ingenious Teaching Device Ever Invented
Sprawl, Decadence, and Environmental Ruin in Nevada
You Should Be Able to Sell Your Kidney
Or at least trade it for something.
- Texas Lab Worker on Cruise Tests Negative for Ebola as Dallas Hospital Apologizes
- Police Use Tear Gas to Break Up College Pumpkin Festival Turned Violent
- Racist Rancher Cliven Bundy Challenges Eric Holder in Bizarre Campaign Ad
- Supreme Court Allows Texas Law That Accepts Handgun Permits but not College IDs to Vote
An All-Female Mission to Mars
As a NASA guinea pig, I verified that women would be cheaper to launch than men.