I am a confident male, comfortable in my physical nature. This is why I can state without any sense of apology that I have several Man Crushes. I am hoping that by making this public announcement, it will become more common and acceptable among men who are some how and in some ways lesser men than I.
During late night bull sessions in grad school, we used to ponder whom we'd want to live next to, y'know, just hang out with and chat with over the fence between our yards. This is really just a variant of that.
What kind of man would "an astronomer, writer, and skeptic" have a crush on? Let's see.
1) Doctor Who. Duh. The greatest science fiction hero of all time, and anyone who disagrees is simply wrong. There are objective realities. The ninth Doctor, played by Christopher Eccleston, was very cool.
As a heterosexual male, I have to add: Mmmmmmm, Rose Tyler. A lot of people disliked her character, but I think she rocked. Their relationship never would have worked out, though, since she's 21 and he's 945.
Of course, the tenth Doctor is prettier.
Wil Wheaton. But you knew this.
Tony Randall. Yes, Tony Randall. He always seemed to be enjoying himself no matter what he did, and he found everything funny. He made me laugh so hard when I was a kid, and seeing reruns of the Odd Couple still cracks me up. He was evidently a great guy to work with, too.
Hmmm, that's currently it, though there are probably more (honorable mentions: George Clooney, Patrick Stewart). I imagine the BAGallery will have more to say on this subject. So pipe up! Be a man.
Update, July 11, 2007: Oh good heavens, what's wrong with me? I forgot Nathan Fillion.
TODAY IN SLATE
Meet the New Bosses
How the Republicans would run the Senate.
The Government Is Giving Millions of Dollars in Electric-Car Subsidies to the Wrong Drivers
Scotland Is Just the Beginning. Expect More Political Earthquakes in Europe.
Cheez-Its. Ritz. Triscuits.
Why all cracker names sound alike.
Friends Was the Last Purely Pleasurable Sitcom
This Whimsical Driverless Car Imagines Transportation in 2059
- Protesters Take to the Streets to Sound Alarm on Climate Change in New York, Across the World
- Knife-Carrying White House Jumper is Vet who Feared “Atmosphere Was Collapsing”
- North Korea: American Sentenced to Hard Labor Wanted to Become “Second Snowden”
- Almost One in Four Americans Support Idea of Splitting From the Union
Did America Get Fat by Drinking Diet Soda?
A high-profile study points the finger at artificial sweeteners.