Listen to this episode of The Moment with guest Amy Koppelman:
Slate Plus members: Get your ad-free podcast feed.
This week on The Moment, Brian Koppelman talks to his wife, novelist and screenwriter Amy Koppelman, about her new book Hesitation Wounds and her recent film I Smile Back. The two discuss Amy’s lifelong battle with depression, the themes and characters of her stories, and how writing has, in many ways, saved her life. Plus, Amy talks about the letter she wrote to Philip Roth, why Per Petterson is one of her favorite authors, and how she overcame resistance from publishers and peers throughout her career.
Topics mentioned on today’s show include:
- Hesitation Wounds by Amy Koppelman
- I Smile Back by Amy Koppelman
- A Mouthful of Air by Amy Koppelman
- I Curse the River of Time by Per Petterson
- The Sheltering Sky by Paul Bowles
- The Moviegoer by Walker Percy
- Franny and Zooey by J.D. Salinger
- Toronto International Film Festival
- Daughters of the American Revolution
- “Lucy in the Sky With Diamonds” by the Beatles
- Osner typewriters
- Columbia University
- American Pastoral by Philip Roth
- The World of Yesterday by Stefan Zweig
- Jesus’ Son by Denis Johnson
- University of Pennsylvania
- Sundance Film Festival
- Deauville American Film Festival
- Nemesis by Philip Roth
People mentioned on today’s show:
This episode of The Moment is brought to you by Braintree. Looking to set up payments for your business? Braintree gives your app or website a payment solution that accepts just about every payment method with one simple integration. Plus, we’ll give you your first $50,000 in transactions fee-free. To learn more, visit BraintreePayments.com/Moment.
And by The Message, a new podcast series from GE Podcast Theater.
And by MUBI, a curated online cinema that brings its members a handpicked selection of the best independent, international, and classic films. Every day, MUBI’s curators introduce a new title and you have 30 days to watch it. That means there are always 30 wonderful films to enjoy, all for only $4.99 a month. Listeners of The Moment can try MUBI free for one month—just go to MUBI.com/themoment for a free trial.
Podcast production by Jayson De Leon.