Listen to Represent:
On this episode of Represent inspired by Disney-Pixar’s new movie Coco, Aisha Harris talks to film critic Carlos Aguilar about how Latinos have historically been portrayed in animation. Then, Antonia Cereijido, a producer at Latino USA, joins to chat about Coco and whether it succeeds as a representation of Mexican culture.
- Latino USA’s “It’s a Small World, After All” episode, featuring a conversation with Coco’s filmmakers and a segment with Aisha on Disney’s relationship to race and politics
- Trailer for Coco, directed by Lee Unkrich and co-directed and co-written by Adrian Molina
- Sam Adams’ review of Coco in Slate
- A history of animated Latino characters from San Antonio Express-News
- “Is Speedy Gonzales a Mexican Hero or a Stereotype in Cartoon Form?” from HuffPost
- “Disney-Pixar’s Coco Breaks Box Office Record in Mexico” from Variety
Tell a friend to subscribe! Share this link: megaphone.link/represent
You can email us at firstname.lastname@example.org.