Listen to Mom and Dad Are Fighting by clicking the arrow on the audio player below:
In this week’s edition of Slate’s parenting podcast Mom and Dad Are Fighting, Slate editors Allison Benedikt and Dan Kois talk to Scott Sampson, the host of Dinosaur Train, about how to get your kids outside and appreciating the natural world. Then, Elissa Strauss joins the show to discuss her piece on the hardships of summer on low-income families. Plus, a listener call from a nanny, and parenting triumphs and fails.
This week on Slate Plus, we talk about being the new kid at school.
Items discussed in the show:
- How to Raise a Wild Child: The Art and Science of Falling in Love with Nature by Scott D. Sampson
- Dinosaur Train on PBS
- Scott Sampson’s website
- “The Lost Summer” by Elissa Strauss, which was originally published on Longreads and will be republished by Slate this week.
- National Association for Year-Round Education
Mom and Dad recommend:
Allison recommends Hey, Little Ant by Phillip M. Hoose and Hannah Hoose with illustrations by Debbie Tilley.
Dan recommends the game Say Anything Family Edition.
This week’s advertisers are:
- Little Passports. Keep your kids busy this summer with Little Passports, the award-winning subscription for kids. Right now, Mom & Dad Are Fighting listeners can save 40 percent on their first month today with promo code MOMANDDAD40. Learn more at littlepassports.com/momanddad.
- BollandBranch.com, the company that makes luxury bedding affordable. Get the nicest sheets you’ve ever owned for about half the price of what stores and boutiques are charging. Order right now and they’ll give you $50 off a set of sheets plus free shipping. Go to bollandbranch.com and use the promo code MOMANDDAD.
- Frank Einstein and the BrainTurbo, the third installment in the hilarious, best-selling children’s book series filled with inventions, science experiments, and baseball-playing robots, by author Jon Scieszka and mad scientist illustrator Brian Biggs. Frank Einstein and the BrainTurbo is on sale now from Amulet Books.
Mom and Dad Are Fighting is coming to Washington, D.C.! Join us Tuesday, Oct. 20, 7 p.m., for a live podcast recording at Woolly Mammoth Theater. A special guest will be announced shortly. Get your tickets here!
Slate Plus members can buy a cocktail ticket AND a show ticket for $50 or a show ticket for $25 until 5 p.m. on Thursday, Sept. 10. If you are a Slate Plus member, you will receive 30 percent off your ticket purchase. Use your Upcoming Events tool in the Slate Plus dashboard on the right side of the Slate Plus home page to receive your individualized discount code.
Follow us on Facebook and email us at email@example.com to tell us what you thought of today’s show and give us ideas for what we should cover in the next edition. Got questions that you’d like us to answer on a future episode? Call and leave us a message at 424-255-7833.
Podcast produced by Ann Heppermann. Our intern is Jessie Chasan-Taber.