Listen to If Then by clicking the arrow on the audio player below:
On this week’s If Then, Slate’s April Glaser talks with Ellen Pao about sexism in Silicon Valley and why the tech industry hasn’t experienced the same reckoning in this #MeToo moment. Pao discusses what gives her hope and what she’s witnessed as CEO and founder of Project Include, a nonprofit organization dedicated to diversity in tech. They also discuss her time at Reddit as interim CEO and what platforms should be doing to combat hate speech and harassment on their sites.
Stories discussed on the show:
- Slate: Silicon Valley Is Sexist Because the People Who Fund It Are Sexist
- Slate: Google’s Argument Against Proving Its Pay Isn’t Sexist: We Need to Protect Employee Privacy!
- Slate: Stormfront Has Been Kicked Offline. Can White Supremacists Still Organize Without the Internet?
- Slate: What Will It Look Like When Silicon Valley Joins the Resistance?
- Slate: Google Was Right to Fire the Writer of That Sexist Memo. Fixing Its Culture Will Take More Work
Podcast production by Max Jacobs.
If Then plugs:
You can get updates about what’s coming up next by following us on Twitter @ifthenpod. You can follow Will @WillOremus and April @Aprilaser. If you have a question or comment, you can email us at firstname.lastname@example.org.