Listen to Hang Up and Listen with Jody Avirgan and Josh Levin:
Become a fan of Hang Up and Listen and join the discussion of this episode on Facebook here:
In this week’s episode of Slate’s sports podcast Hang Up and Listen, Josh Levin and Jody Avirgan of ESPN’s 30 for 30 podcasts are joined by ESPN tennis writer Howard Bryant to talk about Roger Federer’s record eighth Wimbledon title and Venus Williams’ near miss at the All-England Club. Sam Miller of ESPN also comes on the show to examine the remarkable rookie seasons of Aaron Judge and Cody Bellinger and whether they can become the new faces of baseball. Finally, 30 for 30 producer Rose Eveleth joins to discuss the podcast series, which features women walking to the North Pole and a multimillion-dollar baccarat heist.
Here are links to some of the articles and other items mentioned on the show:
- Follow Jody Avirgan on Twitter.
- Follow Howard Bryant on Twitter.
- Roger Federer won his eighth Wimbledon title and talked about his future.
- Inside Venus Williams’ tough journey to the Wimbledon final.
- Read Jon Wertheim’s recap of the fortnight in Sports Illustrated.
- Follow Sam Miller on Twitter.
- Read Sam’s article on Cody Bellinger’s chances of hitting 763 home runs.
- MLB Commissioner Rob Manfred thinks Aaron Judge can be the face of baseball.
- FiveThirtyEight analyzes the anticipated extent of Judge’s regression.
- Judge isn’t focusing on endorsements just yet.
- Follow Rose Eveleth on Twitter.
- Check out the 30 for 30 podcast website and Twitter account.
- Profiles of gambler Phil Ivey in ESPN and the Ringer.
- A piece investigating the mysterious Kelly Sun, Ivey’s baccarat accomplice.
- A 1997 New York Times article detailing the training regimen for the all-female North Pole expedition.
Hang Up and Listen’s weekly Le Chiffres:
Jody’s Le Chiffre: A call to end the painful post-match speeches that follow major tennis tournaments, epitomized by Andy Murray’s cringeworthy effort in 2012.
Josh’s Le Chiffre: Remembering the 1975 “Joe Garagiola Bazooka Big League Bubble Gum Blowing Championship,” a competition that pitted professional baseball players against each other in a battle filled with caliper controversy and 18-inch bubbles.
On this week’s Slate Plus bonus segment, Jody and Josh discuss the rationale behind the 30 for 30 podcast episode “Yankees Suck” and what makes a worthwhile audio documentary. Visit slate.com/hangupplus and try it free for two weeks.
Podcast production and edit by Patrick Fort.
Our intern is Max Cohen.
You can email us at email@example.com.