Listen to Hang Up and Listen with Josh Levin, Stefan Fatsis, and Mike Pesca by clicking the arrow on the audio player below:
Become a fan of Hang Up and Listen and join the discussion of this episode on Facebook here:
In this week’s episode of Slate’s sports podcast Hang Up and Listen, Josh Levin, Stefan Fatsis, and Mike Pesca discuss the World Series, including Terry Francona and Joe Maddon’s managing decisions, the Cubs’ return to form in Game 5, and Fox’s coverage. They also talk with ESPN the Magazine’s Shaun Assael about his new book The Murder of Sonny Liston: Las Vegas, Heroin, and Heavyweights. Finally, they interview writer Jemayel Khawaja and Team USA member Kevin Caldwell, aka Kevin Hustle, about how a team of American players found themselves at the Kabaddi World Cup.
Here are links to some of the articles and other items mentioned on the show:
- Watch an NFL official kick a sex toy off the field during the New England Patriots–Buffalo Bills game.
- Earl Thomas was penalized for hugging an official after scoring a touchdown on Sunday.
- The Cubs beat the Indians 3-2 in Game 5 of the World Series behind 2 2/3 innings from Aroldis Chapman.
- Buster Olney of ESPN said Indians manager Terry Francona’s playoff performance has been “Bumgarner-like.”
- August Fagerstrom of FanGraphs noted that the Cubs uncharacteristically chased pitches out of the strike zone in the first four games of the World Series.
- Celebrity Cubs fans Bill Murray, Vince Vaughn, and Eddie Vedder sang “Take Me Out to the Ball Game” during the World Series games at Wrigley Field.
- Follow Shaun Assael on Twitter.
- Buy Assael’s book The Murder of Sonny Liston and read an excerpt on the Undefeated.
- Vice’s review of the book.
- The FBI believed that Liston’s 1964 fight with Muhammad Ali was fixed by mobsters.
- Follow Jemayel Khawaja on Twitter.
- Khawaja detailed Team USA’s trip to the Kabaddi World Cup for Deadspin.
- Khawaja also wrote about kabaddi’s recent resurgence for the Guardian.
- “Kabaddi is a cross between freestyle wrestling and rugby that tests speed, agility and power,” explains the Economist.
- Follow Kevin Hustle on Twitter and listen to his music on SoundCloud.
Hang Up and Listen’s weekly Do-or-Die Raids:
Mike’s Do-or-Die Raid: Pass interference: a giant penalty for what is often a tiny infraction.
Stefan’s Do-or-Die Raid: Meet Kealia Ohai, human female, American soccer star, and J.J. Watt’s new girlfriend.
Josh’s Do-or-Die Raid: How the demographics of NFL fandom explain the league’s corporate behavior. It’s a corporation trying to appeal to a fan base that is older and whiter than other sports leagues.
On this week’s Slate Plus bonus segment, Josh, Stefan, and Mike advise Slate writer Leon Neyfakh on how to become an NBA fan. Visit slate.com/hangupplus and try it free for two weeks.
Podcast production and edit by Mickey Capper.
Our intern is Shane Monaghan.
You can email us at email@example.com.