Listen to Hang Up and Listen with Stefan Fatsis, Mina Kimes, and Josh Levin by clicking the arrow on the audio player below:
Become a fan of Hang Up and Listen and join the discussion of this episode on Facebook here:
In this week’s episode of Slate’s sports podcast Hang Up and Listen, Stefan Fatsis and Josh Levin are joined by Mina Kimes of ESPN the Magazine to discuss San Francisco 49ers quarterback Colin Kaepernick’s decision to sit down for the national anthem. They also talk about the contract impasse between the San Diego Chargers and their first-round draft pick, Joey Bosa. Finally, Sam Miller of Baseball Prospectus joins to evaluate New York Yankees catcher Gary Sanchez’s hot start and Washington Nationals outfielder Bryce Harper’s long slump.
Here are links to some of the articles and other items mentioned on the show:
- Colin Kaepernick explains his decision to remain seated during the national anthem.
- The Intercept says “the national anthem is a celebration of slavery.”
- The San Diego Chargers issued a statement saying they were pulling their contract offer to Joey Bosa.
- SB Nation gets into the nitty gritty of the Chargers-Bosa dispute.
- In Bleacher Report, Mike Freeman writes, “NFL General Managers Laughing at Chargers for Ruining Joey Bosa’s Rookie Season.”
- Columnists for the San Diego Union-Tribune have taken the Chargers’ side in the Bosa ordeal.
- The Chargers’ proposal for a new stadium in San Diego is on the ballot in November.
- Deadspin says: “Gary Sanchez Is More or Less Babe Ruth Right Now.”
- Fangraphs on Sanchez’s amazingly hot start.
- In FiveThirtyEight, Rob Arthur wrote, “Why Bryce Harper Has Gone from Great to Good.”
- Fangraphs’ Jeff Sullivan looks back at Harper’s fantastic 2015 season.
Hang Up and Listen’s weekly royal anthems:
Mina’s royal anthem: The skateboarding dogs of Rio de Janeiro.
Stefan’s royal anthem: The Cowboys’ continued insistence that Tony Romo is perfectly fine and totally uninjured.
Josh’s royal anthem: The Kansas City Royal who burned his own uniform.
On this week’s Slate Plus bonus segment, Josh, Stefan, and Mina relitigate the Ryan Lochte affair now that more information has come to light. Visit slate.com/hangupplus and try it free for two weeks.
Podcast production and edit by Mickey Capper.
You can email us at firstname.lastname@example.org.