Listen to Hang Up and Listen with Stefan Fatsis, Josh Levin, and Mike Pesca by clicking the arrow on the audio player below:
Become a fan of Hang Up and Listen and join the discussion of this episode on Facebook here:
In this week’s episode of Slate’s sports podcast Hang Up and Listen, Stefan Fatsis, Josh Levin, and Mike Pesca talk about the Steelers-Bengals catastrophe and other happenings on the NFL’s wild card weekend. They are also joined by Neil deMause of the website Field of Schemes to discuss the maneuvering by the St. Louis Rams, San Diego Chargers, and Oakland Raiders to become the next pro football team (or teams) to play in Los Angeles. Finally, they assess the voting for the Baseball Hall of Fame, where Ken Griffey Jr. and Mike Piazza got elected and Roger Clemens, Barry Bonds, and a lot of other people didn’t.
Here are links to some of the articles and other items mentioned on the show:
- Josh and Jeremy Stahl ranked the most horrifying moments in Saturday’s Steelers-Bengals game.
- Vontaze Burfict’s brutal hits on Ben Roethlisberger and Antonio Brown.
- Burfict may be suspended for that hit on Brown.
- Could this be the end of Marvin Lewis’ tenure in Cincinnati?
- Neil deMause’s website Field of Schemes.
- The St. Louis Rams, San Diego Chargers, and Oakland Raiders all applied to relocate to Los Angeles.
- NFL Commissioner Roger Goodell says that stadium proposals in St. Louis, Oakland, and San Diego are “unsatisfactory and inadequate.”
- The AP’s Jim Salter fact-checks the Rams’ relocation bid.
- Ken Griffey Jr. and Mike Piazza will be in the Baseball Hall of Fame’s class of 2016.
- The New York Times’ Benjamin Hoffman on the growing voting percentages for Barry Bonds and Roger Clemens.
- ESPN.com’s Peter Keating says that Tim Raines should get into the Hall of Fame next year.
- Murray Chass compares sabermetrically inclined baseball journalists to ISIS.
- Ryan Thibodaux’s Hall of Fame ballot tracker.
- The Houston Chronicle’s take on the purging of older Hall of Fame voters.
Hang Up and Listen’s weekly Grudzielaneks:
Stefan’s Grudzielanek: One man’s obsession with recording every boxing death.
Josh’s Grudzielanek: Why didn’t newspapers write about football star Devin White’s arrests when they reported his commitment to Louisiana State University?
Podcast production and edit by Zack Dinerstein.
Our intern is Julia Karron.
You can email us at firstname.lastname@example.org.