Listen to Hang Up and Listen with Stefan Fatsis, Josh Levin, and Mike Pesca by clicking the arrow on the audio player below:
Become a fan of Hang Up and Listen and join the discussion of this episode on Facebook here:
In this week’s episode of Slate’s sports podcast Hang Up and Listen, Stefan Fatsis, Josh Levin, and Mike Pesca discuss the end of the line for Peyton Manning and Kobe Bryant and whether it’s possible for a great athlete to end his career with dignity. They also talk about Louisiana State University’s decision to keep Les Miles as its football coach and the University of Georgia’s move to fire Mark Richt. Finally, they interview announcer Ian Eagle about how he prepares for a sports broadcast.
Here are links to some of the articles and other items mentioned on the show:
- The day in whimsy: the Grey Cup is all whimsy.
- Kobe Bryant’s retirement poem, “Dear Basketball.”
- After Sunday night’s game, Bryant talked about his impending retirement.
- Lakers coach Byron Scott says he won’t bench Bryant.
- After the Lakers’ 111–77 loss to the Warriors, ESPN.com’s Baxter Holmes wrote, “Kobe Bryant’s possible farewell tour hits new low.”
- The New Yorker’s Ben McGrath profiled Bryant in 2014.
- Denver and Brock Osweiler beat New England and Tom Brady.
- The Broncos’ Peyton Manning is out with a torn plantar fascia.
- CBS Sports reports that Manning wants to be the starter and will not “go quietly.”
- Manning set the record for career passing yards.
- Tom Brady wrote in a 2014 email that he had seven or eight years left while Manning had two.
- Les Miles is staying as LSU’s head football coach.
- SB Nation’s timeline of the Miles nonfiring.
- The case for and against firing Miles.
- LSU had more players in the NFL than any other school at the start of this season.
- Georgia fired its head coach Mark Richt.
- Richt had higher standards than other Southeastern Conference football coaches.
- Yahoo Sports’ Dan Wetzel on Nick Saban’s role in the Miles and Richt imbroglios.
- Sports Illustrated feature on how Ian Eagle prepares for an NFL game.
- Eagle’s Wikipedia page.
- A Q&A with Eagle on the website Back Sports Page.
- Everything you need to know about Miami kicker Andrew Franks.
Hang Up and Listen’s weekly Bugga Lous:
Mike’s Bugga Lou: Texas Christian University played Baylor in a monsoon, which had a small effect on the outcome of the game.
Stefan’s Bugga Lou: NFL betting slips were a great way to introduce your child to gambling.
Josh’s Bugga Lou: The strange history of the Great Alaska Shootout.
Podcast production and edit by Zack Dinerstein.
You can email us at email@example.com.