Listen to Hang Up and Listen with Stefan Fatsis, Josh Levin, and Mike Pesca by clicking the arrow on the audio player below:
Become a fan of Hang Up and Listen and join the discussion of this episode on Facebook here:
In this week’s episode of Slate’s sports podcast Hang Up and Listen, Stefan Fatsis, Josh Levin, and Mike Pesca discuss the World Series matchup between the New York Mets and Kansas City Royals with baseball writer Rany Jazayerli. They also talk about the NFL’s first foray into Internet-only broadcasting and what it means for the future of sports television. Finally, they’re joined by Puck Daddy’s Greg Wyshynski to assess the NHL’s new 3-on-3 overtime format and the debuts of supposed generational stars Connor McDavid and Jack Eichel.
Here are links to some of the articles and other items mentioned on the show:
- Follow Rany Jazayerli on Twitter and read his stories on Grantland.
- Tom Verducci’s Sports Illustrated piece on how the Kansas City Royals’ coaching and scouting paid off against the Toronto Blue Jays.
- The New York Mets’ pitchers throw very hard, and the Royals’ hitters pound fastballs.
- The Royals’ mascot Sluggerrr might be having an affair with Mrs. Met.
- Earlier this year, Royals pitcher Yordano Ventura was ejected from a game for hitting Oakland’s Brett Lawrie with a pitch.
- Sports Illustrated’s Richard Deitsch on the NFL’s first Internet-only broadcast.
- Bloomberg assessed Yahoo’s $17 million deal.
- The Yahoo broadcast averaged 2.36 million viewers.
- Yahoo sold all of its ad inventory after reducing the price of commercials from a reported $200,000 per half-minute to $50,000.
- Follow Greg Wyshynski on Twitter and listen to his podcast.
- Greg Wyshynski’s book Take Your Eye Off the Puck.
- Yahoo’s Dan Wetzel says 3-on-3 overtime is hockey on cocaine.
- Video of the NHL’s first-ever 3-on-3 overtime, between the Flyers and Lightning.*
- Winnipeg’s Dustin Byfuglien says the new format is terrible.
- The history of overtime periods in the NHL.
- The New York Times on hockey’s new stars, Connor McDavid and Jack Eichel.
Hang Up and Listen’s weekly Biancalanas:
Mike’s Biancalana: Which long-suffering fans are the most long-suffering fans, according to Google?
Josh’s Biancalana: Will amazing Paralympic long jumper Markus Rehm be allowed to compete in the 2016 Olympics?
On this week’s Slate Plus bonus segment, Stefan Fatsis, Josh Levin, and Mike Pesca revisit recent segments on Leonard Fournette and the deaths of high school football players. Visit slate.com/hangupplus and try it free for two weeks.
If you’re a fan of Slate’s podcasts, you can’t miss out on our one-night-only show in New York City on Nov. 16! We’re combining Slate’s most popular personalities from the Political Gabfest, the Culture Gabfest, and Hang Up and Listen into a blowout event called “Superfest on Broadway” at Manhattan’s Town Hall. After the blowout event, we will be holding an exclusive after-party with the talent, Slate staff, and Panoply partners at an undisclosed location. Only 50 tickets will be sold to this exclusive event, which will include drinks and hors d’oeuvres. The venue will be within walking distance of the live show and an email with location will go out two weeks prior to attendees. You can buy your show ticket or a show AND after-party package by visiting slate.com/superfestnyc. Doors open at 6 p.m. for the show and 9 p.m. for the after-party. If you are a Slate Plus member, you will receive 30 percent off your ticket purchase. Use your Upcoming Events tool in the Slate Plus dashboard on the right side of the Slate Plus home page to receive your individualized discount code.
Podcast production and edit by Zack Dinerstein.
You can email us at firstname.lastname@example.org.
Correction, Oct. 29, 2015: Due to an editing error, the write up of this podcast misstated that a video of the Flyers and Lightning was the first-ever 3-on-3 overtime in the NFL. It was the first-ever in the NHL.