Listen to Hang Up and Listen with Josh Levin, Stephen Metcalf, Mike Pesca, and June Thomas by clicking the arrow on the audio player below:
Become a fan of Hang Up and Listen and join the discussion of this episode on Facebook here:
In this week’s episode of Slate’s sports podcast Hang Up and Listen, Josh Levin, Stephen Metcalf, and Mike Pesca discuss NFL commissioner Roger Goodell’s decision to uphold Tom Brady’s four-game suspension, and whether Brady’s appeal in federal court will be successful. They also talk about the New York Mets’ crazy week, from a rumored trade that made the team’s shortstop cry to a sweep of the division-leading Washington Nationals. Finally, they’re joined by Slate’s June Thomas for an interview with Olympic diving champion Greg Louganis, who’s the subject of the new documentary Back on Board.
Here are links to some of the articles and other items mentioned on the show:
- Follow the Fatsis family at the 2015 North American Scrabble Championship.
- Roger Goodell decided to uphold his own ruling to suspend Tom Brady for four games for his role in Deflategate.
- Back in May, Steve wrote in Slate about “Patriots Derangement Syndrome.”
- A New York Jets equipment manager was suspended in 2009 for trying “to use unapproved equipment to prep the K[icking] Balls.” The Jets’ opponents? The Patriots.
- On Sports Illustrated’s website, Michael McCann argues that it’s unlikely Brady and the NFLPA can beat the NFL in court.
- The New York Mets’ sweep of the Washington Nationals made the team’s fans lose their minds.
- Shortstop Wilmer Flores cried during a game last week when he thought he’d been traded. A few nights later, he hit a walk-off home run.
- After failing to trade for Carlos Gomez, the Mets grabbed slugger Yoenis Céspedes from the Tigers.
- The Mets have been hamstrung by owner Fred Wilpon’s losses in the Bernie Madoff scam.
- The website for the Greg Louganis documentary Back on Board.
- Louganis’ interview with NPR about the documentary.
- Louganis’ Wikipedia page.
- Louganis’ 1995 appearances with Barbara Walters and Oprah Winfrey.
- Video of Louganis hitting his head at the 1988 Olympics.
Hang Up and Listen’s weekly Ron MacLeans:
Mike’s Ron MacLean: A conversation with sportswriter Jeff Pearlman about how to deal with distractions.
June’s Ron MacLean: Looking back at 1982’s Personal Best, which holds up pretty well—at least as a sports movie.
Josh’s Ron MacLean: Evangelizing for the digital projector.
On this week’s Slate Plus bonus segment, Josh Levin, Mike Pesca, and June Thomas discuss Boston’s decision to bow out of the competition to host the 2024 Olympics. Visit slate.com/hangupplus and try it free for two weeks.
Podcast production and edit by Zack Dinerstein.
You can email us at firstname.lastname@example.org.