Listen to Hang Up and Listen with Stefan Fatsis, Josh Levin, and Mike Pesca by clicking the arrow on the audio player below:
Become a fan of Hang Up and Listen and join the discussion of this episode on Facebook here:
In this week’s episode of Slate’s sports podcast Hang Up and Listen, Stefan Fatsis, Josh Levin, and Mike Pesca talk about Floyd Mayweather’s victory over Manny Pacquiao in boxing’s not-so-thrilling fight of the century. They also discuss the Los Angeles Clippers’ Game 7 victory over the defending champion San Antonio Spurs and how the NFL handled “character issues” in the 2015 draft.
Here are links to some of the articles and other items mentioned on the show:
- Grantland’s Bryan Curtis on the Mayweather-Pacquiao fight.
- In Slate, Robert Weintraub predicted that Mayweather-Pacquiao would be an “exorbitantly overpriced dud.”
- Gawker’s Hamilton Nolan on Mayweather-Pacquiao and “the triumph of the hype.”
- Chris Paul led the Clippers to a Game 7 victory over the Spurs.
- Commissioner Adam Silver said earlier this year that the NBA should consider putting the top 16 teams in the playoffs regardless of conference.
- The Tampa Bay Bucs took Jameis Winston with the No. 1 pick in the NFL draft.
- Bucs GM Jason Licht told the MMQB’s Peter King that Winston “kept checking every box.”
- La’el Collins went undrafted as the LSU offensive lineman prepared to meet with police about the killing of a pregnant woman.
- Deadspin’s Barry Petchesky on the weirdness surrounding Randy Gregory’s slippage in the draft.
- The Sporting News called Dorial Green-Beckham the “riskiest player” in this year’s draft.
Hang Up and Listen’s weekly proven performance escalators:
Mike’s proven performance escalator: Early-season baseball trends, including the Houston Astros’ surprising winning streak.
Stefan’s proven performance escalator: Remembering the days when men were men and boxing matches lasted more than 100 rounds.
Josh’s proven performance escalator: Will Houston’s Astrodome turn into a tropical island resort?
On this week’s Slate Plus bonus segment, Stefan Fatsis, Josh Levin, and Mike Pesca discuss last week’s crowd-free game between the Orioles and White Sox. Visit slate.com/hangupplus and try it free for two weeks.
You can email us at firstname.lastname@example.org.