Listen to Dummy with David Goldblatt, Danny Karbassiyoon, and George Quraishi by clicking the arrow on the audio player below:
Become a fan of Hang Up and Listen on Facebook here:
Throughout the World Cup, Slate’s sports podcast Hang Up and Listen will have a special treat: a podcast extra from our soccer-obsessed friends at Howler magazine.
On today’s episode of Dummy, David Goldblatt, Danny Karbassiyoon, and George Quraishi sift through the aftermath of the semifinals and probe the effect of the 7–1 loss on Brazilian soccer. They also talk about national soccer identities like jogo bonito, “total football,” and Catenaccio, and discuss whether they’re still relevant. This tournament has seen a few dangerous head collisions and possible concussions, including Javier Mascherano’s scary injury, and epic performance in the semifinals. The roundtable discusses FIFA’s response to head injuries. They then talk with Matt Negrin, freelance journalist and founder of the website Away and Home, about his experience covering the only indigenous professional team in Brazil. Finally, they hear a submission from their call for World Cup poems.
Here are links to some of the topics mentioned on the show:
- David Goldblatt on the myths of Brazilian soccer.
- Tactical analysis of Brazil vs. Germany.
- The NFL’s concussion protocol.
- Taylor Twellman’s experience with head injuries.
- Concussions at the World Cup, including FIFA’s rules.
- Mascherano’s performance, his decisive tackle, and its unfortunate toll. Ouch.
- Matt Negrin’s site Away and Home and Twitter page.
- Matt’s story on the first indigenous professional soccer team in Brazil.
- Valerie Hamra, author of the World Cup poem, on Twitter.
- The most popular three words describing each World Cup squad, according to a Cambridge University Press study.Wright Thompson’s “Scenes of Defeat on the Streets of Brazil.”
- All four American national anthems from the World Cup by Alex Abnos.
Podcast production and edit by Matthew Nelson and Ryan Catanese.
You can email the Howler crew at firstname.lastname@example.org.
TODAY IN SLATE
Ben Bradlee Dead at 93
The legendary Washington Post editor presided over the paper’s Watergate coverage.
The Congressional Republican Digging Through Scientists’ Grant Proposals
Renée Zellweger’s New Face Is Too Real
Sleater-Kinney Was Once America’s Best Rock Band
Can it be again?
Whole Foods Is Desperate for Customers to Feel Warm and Fuzzy Again
I’m 25. I Have $250.03.
My doctors want me to freeze my eggs.
Forget Oculus Rift
This $25 cardboard box turns your phone into an incredibly fun virtual reality experience.