Listen to Hang Up and Listen with Stefan Fatsis, Josh Levin, and Mike Pesca with the audio player below:
Become a fan of Hang Up and Listen on Facebook here:
In this week’s episode of Slate’s sports podcast Hang Up and Listen, Stefan Fatsis, Josh Levin, and Mike Pesca talk with author Nicholas Dawidoff about his new book Collision Low Crossers: A Year Inside the Turbulent World of NFL Football. They’re also joined by former New York Jet Jim Leonhard to discuss what it’s like to play for Rex Ryan and how he manages the risk of a career as a professional football player.
Here are links to some of the articles and other items mentioned on the show:
- Nicholas Dawidoff’s book Collision Low Crossers.
- In an excerpt from Collision Low Crossers on Slate, Dawidoff describes how it felt to call the plays for the New York Jets defense during a preseason game.
- More excerpts from Collision Low Crossers via Newsday, Only a Game, and Deadspin.
- In the New York Times, Mark Leibovich called Collision Low Crossers “an instant classic” of behind-the-scenes NFL reportage.
- The 2011 New York Jets finished a disappointing 8-8.
- Back in 2010, Stefan wrote for Slate about Rex Ryan and the Jets’ appearance on Hard Knocks.
- Stefan’s book A Few Seconds of Panic: A Sportswriter Plays in the NFL.
- Jim Leonhard’s official website and Twitter page.
- Leonhard now plays for the Buffalo Bills.
Podcast production and edit by Mike Vuolo. Links compiled by Casey Butterly.
You can email us at firstname.lastname@example.org.
TODAY IN SLATE
The Irritating Confidante
John Dickerson on Ben Bradlee’s fascinating relationship with John F. Kennedy.
My Father Invented Social Networking at a Girls’ Reform School in the 1930s
Renée Zellweger’s New Face Is Too Real
Sleater-Kinney Was Once America’s Best Rock Band
Can it be again?
The All The President’s Men Scene That Captured Ben Bradlee
The Simpsons World App Is Finally Here
I feel like a kid in some kind of store.
Driving in Circles
The autonomous Google car may never actually happen.