Listen to "Hang Up and Listen" with Stefan Fatsis, Josh Levin, and Mike Pesca by clicking the arrow on the audio player below:
Become a fan of Hang Up and Listen on Facebook here:
Hang Up and Listen is brought to you by Stamps.com. Click on the radio microphone and enter HANGUP to get our $110 bonus offer.
In this week’s episode of Slate’s sports podcast Hang Up and Listen, Stefan Fatsis, Josh Levin, and Mike Pesca discuss the San Francisco Giants’ World Series sweep and whether the Detroit Tigers were affected by their long layoff. They’re then joined by Kevin Pelton, co-author of Pro Basketball Prospectus 2012-13, to discuss the Thunder’s decision to trade James Harden and his projections for the upcoming NBA season.
Here are links to some of the articles and other items mentioned on the show:
- The Giants swept the Tigers to win the 2012 World Series.
- Were the Tigers hurt by the long layoff?
- ESPN’s David Schoenfield credits San Francisco general manager Brian Sabean.
- On Yahoo, Jeff Passan writes about the Giants’ clubhouse chemistry.
- On FanGraphs, Jeff Sullivan breaks down Sergio Romo’s World Series-clinching strikeout of Miguel Cabrera.
- Albert Brooks’ fake letter from Babe Ruth regarding a sick child.
- Kevin Pelton and Bradford Doolittle are the co-authors of Pro Basketball Prospectus 2012-13. You can download sample chapters here.
- The Thunder broke up its nucleus and shipped James Harden to the Rockets.
- Pelton analyzed the deal on Basketball Prospectus (subscription only).
- The New York Times’ Howard Beck says the Harden trade reflects Commissioner David Stern’s vision of the league.
- Preseason predictions from Basketball Prospectus and ESPN the Magazine.
- Reggie Miller scoffs at Basketball Prospectus’ projection that the Nuggets will have the best record in the Western conference.
Hang Up and Listen’s weekly Frankenballs:
Mike’s Frankenball: The greatness of the 1919 Centre Praying Colonels football team.
Stefan’s Frankenball: Lucky’s Amazing Sports Lists, maintained by Paul S. Luchter.
Podcast production and edit by Mike Vuolo. Our intern is Eric Goldwein.
You can email us at email@example.com.
TODAY IN SLATE
More Than Scottish Pride
Scotland’s referendum isn’t about nationalism. It’s about a system that failed, and a new generation looking to take a chance on itself.
Yes, Black Families Tend to Spank More. That Doesn’t Mean It’s Good for Black Kids.
Why Greenland’s “Dark Snow” Should Worry You
If You’re Outraged by the NFL, Follow This Satirical Blowhard on Twitter
The Best Way to Organize Your Fridge
The GOP’s Focus on Fake Problems
Why candidates like Scott Walker are building campaigns on drug tests for the poor and voter ID laws.
Giving Up on Goodell
How the NFL lost the trust of its most loyal reporters.