Hang Up and Listen: The British Are Crying Edition
Slate’s sports podcast on Wimbledon, NBA deals, and baseball at midseason.
Posted Monday, July 9, 2012, at 5:28 PM
Illustration by Robert Neubecker
Listen to "Hang Up and Listen" with Stefan Fatsis, Josh Levin, and Mike Pesca by clicking the arrow on the audio player below:
Become a fan of Hang Up and Listen on Facebook here:
This episode of Hang Up and Listen is brought to you by GoToMeeting with HD Faces. Click on the Try It Free button and use the promo code HANGUP to get a 30-day free trial.
Hang Up and Listen is also brought to you by Stamps.com. Click on the radio microphone and enter HANGUP to get our $110 bonus offer.
In this week’s episode of Slate’s sports podcast Hang Up and Listen, Stefan Fatsis, Josh Levin, and Mike Pesca are joined by Sports Illustrated’s Jon Wertheim to talk about Roger Federer and Serena Williams’ Wimbledon wins and the heartbreaking loss of local boy Andy Murray. They also talk about Steve Nash’s move to the Lakers, Ray Allen going to the Heat, and Jeremy Lin’s “poison pill” deal. Finally, they check in with Major League Baseball at midseason, where the Red Sox and Phillies are also-rans and the Pirates and Nationals are sitting pretty.
Here are links to some of the articles and other items mentioned on the show:
- Roger Federer beat Andy Murray to win his seventh Wimbledon title.
- Murray gets choked up during his post-match speech.
- Murray guested on Jon Wertheim’s tennis podcast.
- Jon’s 50 parting thoughts on Wimbledon 2012.
- Serena Williams won her fifth Wimbledon.
- Ben Shpigel’s New York Times piece on the unstoppable browning of the Wimbledon grass.
- Jeremy Lin’s “poison pill” deal with the Houston Rockets.
- How Steve Nash became a Laker.
- The Nets are trying to get Dwight Howard as the third piece of their Big 3.
- Ray Allen is signing with the Miami Heat.
- Larry Bird doesn’t approve of stars taking less money to play for contenders.
- The long-suffering Pittsburgh Pirates are on fire.
- ESPN.com’s David Schoenfield calls the Pirates’ Andrew McCutchen the “face of the first half.”
- Jayson Stark’s midseason MLB awards.
- Mike Trout is awesome.
Hang Up and Listen’s weekly Bunnies:
- Mike’s Bunny: What basketball player has the highest vertical reach? Can anyone touch the top of the backboard?
- Stefan’s Bunny: The U.S. futsal team bombed out of the qualifying tournament for the 2012 FIFA Futsal World Cup. Meanwhile, Iran has one of the world’s best futsal teams.
- Josh’s Bunny: The strange list of goods and services attached to FIFA’s trademark for World Cup 2014.
Podcast production and edit by Mike Vuolo.
You can e-mail us at email@example.com.
Stefan Fatsis is the author of Word Freak and A Few Seconds of Panic, a regular guest on NPR's All Things Considered, and a panelist on Slate's sports podcast "Hang Up and Listen." You can email him at firstname.lastname@example.org and follow him on Twitter.
Mike Pesca is a correspondent for National Public Radio who covers mostly sports.