Listen to "Hang Up and Listen" with Stefan Fatsis, Josh Levin, and Mike Pesca by clicking the arrow on the audio player below:
Become a fan of Hang Up and Listen on Facebook here:
This episode of Hang Up and Listen is brought to you by Stamps.com. Go to Stamps.com, click on the radio microphone, and enter HANGUP to get our $110 bonus offer.
Hang Up and Listen is brought to you by Audible. Get a free audiobook and 30-day trial today by signing up at www.audiblepodcast.com/hangup. Our Audible pick of the week is L. Jon Wertheim’s Blood in the Cage.
In this week’s episode of Slate’s sports podcast Hang Up and Listen, Stefan Fatsis, Josh Levin, Mike Pesca are joined by Sports Illustrated’s Chris Ballard to talk about his two recent profile subjects, Tim Duncan and Kobe Bryant. They also discuss the playoff success of the Los Angeles Kings and Phoenix Coyotes, and whether the NHL’s “southern strategy” has failed. Finally, Sarah Kogod of the Washington Post joins to discuss how the world reacts to women who love sports.
Here are links to some of the articles and other items mentioned on the show:
- Chris Ballard’s new book, One Shot at Forever.
- Chris’ Sports Illustrated profile of Tim Duncan, “21 Shades of Gray.”
- Duncan posing with some fellow paintballers.
- Chris’ SI piece on Kobe Bryant and his father, “Where Does Greatness Come From?”
- The Mavericks’ Dirk Nowitzki missed a week earlier this year to work on his conditioning.
- The Phoenix Coyotes’ strong playoff performance might not be enough to keep the team in Arizona.
- Glendale, Ariz., pays the Coyotes huge subsidies to stick around.
- The former CEO of the San Jose Sharks is close to buying the Coyotes.
- The National Post’s Bruce Arthur on Quebec’s hopes of landing the Coyotes.
- The Economist on the NHL’s failed southern strategy.
- Should the NHL pursue a northern strategy instead?
- The Atlanta Thrashers moved to Winnipeg this season.
- Sarah Kogod’s writing for the Washington Post.
- Simon Borg’s comments about women soccer fans on the official MLS podcast.
- Freakonomics asks why ESPN doesn’t cover women’s sports.
- Women’s Professional Soccer folded last week.
- How Sarah met her husband, fellow sports blogger Jack Kogod.
Hang Up and Listen’s weekly DNP-Olds:
- Mike’s DNP-Old: The Pesca-Pelton Basketball Prospectus investigation of whether fatigue causes ACL injuries.
- Stefan’s DNP-Old: In praise of Joe Clancy’s New York Times story on the death of the steeplechase horse Arcadius.
- Josh’s DNP-Old: The dramatic fall of the College of Southern Nevada baseball program after Bryce Harper’s departure.
Podcast production by Andrew Bouve. Podcast edit by Andy Bowers.
You can e-mail us at firstname.lastname@example.org.