Listen to "Hang Up and Listen" with Stefan Fatsis, Josh Levin, and Mike Pesca by clicking the arrow on the audio player below:
Become a fan of Hang Up and Listen on Facebook here:
This episode of Hang Up and Listen is brought to you by Stamps.com. Go to Stamps.com, click on the radio microphone, and enter HANGUP to get our $110 bonus offer.
Hang Up and Listen is brought to you by Audible. Get a free audiobook and 30-day trial today by signing up at www.audiblepodcast.com/hangup. Our Audible pick of the week is Game of Shadows by Mark Fainaru-Wada and Lance Williams.
In this week’s episode of Slate’s sports podcast Hang Up and Listen, Stefan Fatsis, Josh Levin, and Mike Pesca talk about the scourge of flopping in the NBA. They also discuss whether a pair of NFL lawsuits will curb Roger Goodell’s power, and San Diego Chargers kicker Nate Kaeding joins the show to discuss his new project, Athletes’ Library, and educating athletes on how to be better media consumers.
Here are links to some of the articles and other items mentioned on the show:
- NBA commissioner David Stern says flopping is not a “legitimate play.”
- Pacers coach Frank Vogel called the Heat “the biggest flopping team in the NBA.”
- Kobe Bryant explains why he doesn’t take charges.
- Red Auerbach hated floppers.
- There’s flopping in hockey, too.
- Shane Battier would support anti-flopping rules, so long as offensive flopping was also targeted.
- Michael McCann on the NFLPA’s collusion lawsuit and Jonathan Vilma’s defamation suit against Roger Goodell.
- The Washington Post’s Mark Maske on the NFL’s short-lived labor peace.
- Sally Jenkins says Goodell “appears a few steps ahead of everyone in the NFL.”
- The NFL plans to make thigh and knee pads mandatory in 2013. (Stefan wrote about players shirking pads back in 2004.)
- Nate Kaeding’s Twitter account for inquisitive athletes, @athleteslibrary.
- Stefan’s 2010 SI.com piece on Kaeding.
- One of Kaeding’s favorite books, Zen in the Art of Archery.
- Kaeding has linked to a story on Junior Seau, a Larry David humor piece on golf, and an excerpt from Scott Raab’s The Whore of Akron.
Hang Up and Listen’s weekly Awa Kenzos:
- Mike’s Awa Kenzo: The proud history of the San Antonio Spurs.
- Stefan’s Awa Kenzo: A controversial ad in which an Argentine field hockey player exercises on the Falkland Islands. (Here’s Mike’s NPR piece on the U.S. men’s field hockey team.)
- Josh’s Awa Kenzo: The amazing comeback story of tennis player Brian Baker.
Podcast production and edit by Mike Vuolo.
You can e-mail us at email@example.com.
TODAY IN SLATE
The Right Target
Why Obama’s airstrikes against ISIS may be more effective than people expect.
The One National Holiday Republicans Hope You Forget
It’s Legal for Obama to Bomb Syria Because He Says It Is
I Stand With Emma Watson on Women’s Rights
Even though I know I’m going to get flak for it.
Should You Recline Your Seat? Two Economists Weigh In.
It Is Very, Very Stupid to Compare Hope Solo to Ray Rice
Or, why it is very, very stupid to compare Hope Solo to Ray Rice.
In Defense of HR
Startups and small businesses shouldn’t skip over a human resources department.