Listen to "Hang Up and Listen" with Stefan Fatsis, Josh Levin, Mike Pesca, and special guest Buzz Bissinger by clicking the arrow on the audio player below:
You can also listen to the bonus, after-the-show Q&A session with Stefan, Josh, Mike, and Buzz:
Finally, you can watch a video of the show and the Q&A session in their entirety:
Become a fan of Hang Up and Listen on Facebook here:
This episode of Hang Up and Listen is brought to you by Stamps.com. Go to Stamps.com, click on the radio microphone, and enter HANGUP to get our $110 bonus offer.
Hang Up and Listen is brought to you by Audible. Get a free audiobook and 30-day trial today by signing up at www.audiblepodcast.com/hangup. Our Audible picks of the week are Dan Barry’s Bottom of the 33rd and Buzz Bissinger’s Father’s Day.
In this week’s episode of Slate’s sports podcast Hang Up and Listen, Stefan Fatsis, Josh Levin, Mike Pesca and special guest Buzz Bissinger talk about Bissinger’s new e-book After Friday Night Lights and his memoir Father’s Day. They also discuss the woes facing college athletics and identify the most-impressive feats in sports.
Here are links to some of the articles and other items mentioned on the show:
- Buzz Bissinger’s e-book After Friday Night Lights.
- An excerpt from the original Friday Night Lights about Boobie Miles.
- Big K.R.I.T.’s song “Boobie Miles.”
- Bissinger’s memoir Father’s Day.
- Big East commissioner John Marinatto recently stepped down.
- The latest on conference realignment.
- The Ivy League recently signed a TV deal with the NBC Sports Network and nixed a proposed postseason basketball tournament.
- The BYU men’s soccer team opted out of the NCAA in favor of the USL Premier Development League.
- Josh Hamilton was the 16th major leaguer to hit four home runs in a game.
- There have been 21 MLB perfect games and 15 unassisted triple plays.
- A perfect game in bowling ain’t what it used to be.
- Is scoring a double eagle more impressive than winning the Masters’ green jacket?
- Secretariat’s 31-length victory in the 1973 Belmont.
- There have been four quadruple-doubles in NBA history and two quintuple-doubles in girls’ high school basketball.
- Other impressive sports feats: a nine-dart finish, a maximum 147 break in snooker, a golden set in tennis, six sixes in an over in cricket, and scoring eight in a single end in curling,
Hang Up and Listen’s weekly Mojos:
Mike’s Mojo: A deep analysis of Jimmy Johnson’s commercial for the male-enhancement pill ExtenZe.
Podcast production and edit by Mike Vuolo.
You can email us at firstname.lastname@example.org.
TODAY IN SLATE
More Than Scottish Pride
Scotland’s referendum isn’t about nationalism. It’s about a system that failed, and a new generation looking to take a chance on itself.
IOS 8 Comes Out Today. Do Not Put It on Your iPhone 4S.
Why Greenland’s “Dark Snow” Should Worry You
Three Talented Actresses in Three Terrible New Shows
The Human Need to Find Connections in Everything
It’s the source of creativity and delusions. It can harm us more than it helps us.
Happy Constitution Day!
Too bad it’s almost certainly unconstitutional.