Listen to "Hang Up and Listen" with Stefan Fatsis, Josh Levin, and Mike Pesca by clicking the arrow on the audio player below:
Become a fan of Hang Up and Listen on Facebook here:
This episode of Hang Up and Listen is brought to you by Stamps.com. Go to Stamps.com, click on the radio microphone, and enter HANGUP to get our $110 bonus offer.
Hang Up and Listen is brought to you by Audible. Get a free audiobook and 30-day trial today by signing up at www.audiblepodcast.com/hangup.
In this week’s episode of Slate’s sports podcast Hang Up and Listen, Stefan Fatsis, Josh Levin, and Mike Pesca talk about whether Philip Humber’s perfect game was really a perfect game. They also discuss soon-to-be NFL draftees Andrew Luck and Robert Griffin III, the Los Angeles Clippers’ supposed need for an NHL-style enforcer to protect Blake Griffin, and potential new nicknames for the NBA’s New Orleans Hornets.
Here are links to some of the articles and other items mentioned on the show:
- Chicago White Sox pitcher Philip Humber threw the 21st perfect game in MLB history.
- The Economist’s “Game Theory” blog on the perfect game as an “imperfect measure of excellence.”
- Armando Galarraga lost a perfect game on a blown call at first base.
- A video from the stands of the last out in Humber’s perfect game.
- Animated GIFs of Ryan’s swing.
- Lookout Landing’s Jeff Sullivan on Fox’s lack of interest in replaying Brendan Ryan’s checked swing.
- There is no official definition of a checked swing.
- The closing seconds of Game 7 of the 1988 NBA Finals.
- Sports Illustrated’s Peter King on Andrew Luck and Robert Griffin III as the new Peyton Manning and Ryan Leaf.
- NFL Films’ Greg Cosell prefers Griffin to Luck.
- Charles Barkley says the Clippers need an NHL-style enforcer to protect Blake Griffin.
- The Phoenix Coyotes’ Raffi Torres was suspended 25 games for his hit on Chicago’s Marian Hossa.
- The Lakers’ Metta World Peace was ejected from a game for elbowing the Thunder’s James Harden in the head.
- The New Orleans Hornets are in the market for a new nickname.
- The Utah Jazz aren’t willing to give their name back to New Orleans.
- A list of current New Orleans teams.
- The history of the New Orleans Pelicans.
Hang Up and Listen’s weekly Obezags:
Mike’s Obezag: In search of perfect games in basketball and football.
Stefan’s Obezag: In praise of Paul D. Anderson, the proprietor of the blog NFL Concussion Litigation. (Here’s Anderson’s original blog post about the Pete Duranko lawsuit, and here’s Mike Mastovich’s version in the Tribune-Democrat.)
Josh’s Obezag: Daron Bryden, “one of the top 10 year old quarterbacks in the nation.”
Podcast production and edit by Mike Vuolo.
You can e-mail us at firstname.lastname@example.org.
TODAY IN SLATE
Meet the New Bosses
How the Republicans would run the Senate.
The U.S. Is So, So Far Behind Europe on Clean Energy
The Government Is Giving Millions of Dollars in Electric-Car Subsidies to the Wrong Drivers
The Best Thing About the People’s Climate March in NYC
Friends Was the Last Purely Pleasurable Sitcom
This Whimsical Driverless Car Imagines Transportation in 2059
Did America Get Fat by Drinking Diet Soda?
A high-profile study points the finger at artificial sweeteners.