To listen to the discussion, use the player below:
On this week’s Slate Political Gabfest, Emily Bazelon, John Dickerson, and David Plotz discuss Justice Anthony Kennedy’s retirement, the meaning of civility and the impact of primaries around the nation.
Here are some of the links and references from this week’s show:
- Mark Joseph Stern for Slate: “Justice Anthony Kennedy Retires, Paving Way for Donald Trump to Reshape the Supreme Court”
- Jeremy Stahl for Slate: “How Many People Have Been Kept Out by Trump’s travel Ban”
- Reid Pillifant for Slate: “Alexandria Ocasio-Cortez Stuns Joe Crowley in Progressives’ First Big Upset of 2018”
- Joshua Johnson for WAMU’s 1A: “Captivating America: Civility War”
- Emma Green for the Atlantic: “There’s More to Being Jewish Than Fighting Anti-Semitism”
Here are this week’s cocktail chatters:
- Emily: The big changes to labor from this week’s Supreme Court decision.
- John: The VIP Kid program for remote learning English as a second language.
For this week’s Slate Plus bonus segment, the hosts discuss the vitriol Emily received when she reported about being white. Join Slate Plus! Members get bonus segments, exclusive member-only podcasts, and more. Sign up for a free trial today at slate.com/gabfestplus.
Topic ideas for next week? You can tweet suggestions, links, and questions to @SlateGabfest (#heygabfest). (Tweets may be quoted by name unless the writer stipulates otherwise.)
Become a fan of the Political Gabfest on Facebook. We post to the Facebook page throughout the week, so keep the conversation going by joining us there. Or follow us @SlateGabfest. The email address for the Political Gabfest is firstname.lastname@example.org. (Email may be quoted by name unless the writer stipulates otherwise.)
Podcast production by Jocelyn Frank. Links compiled by Izzy Rode.