To listen to the discussion, use the player below:
On this week’s Slate Political Gabfest, Emily Bazelon, John Dickerson, and David Plotz discuss presidents’ calls to grieving families, Vice President Mike Pence’s core politics, and the opioid crisis.
Here are some of the links and references from this week’s show:
- Brian Flood for Fox News: “Media playing along as liberals weaponize Gold Star families in fight against GOP”
- Richard W. Stevenson for the New York Times: “Mother Takes Protests to Bush’s Ranch”
- Jane Mayer for the New Yorker: “The Danger of President Pence”
- Scott Higham and Lenny Bernstein for the Washington Post: “The Drug Industry’s Triumph Over the DEA”
- Michael Barbaro for the New York Times: “Disappearing Factory Jobs”
Here are this week’s cocktail chatters:
Emily: Lawmakers in North Carolina are seeking greater politicization of the courts.
John: Dolphins! They’re quite intelligent.
David: An empty corporate jet used to trail GE leader Jeff Immelt when he traveled, says the Wall Street Journal.
For this week’s Slate Plus bonus segment, the hosts discuss what Halloween costumes members of the Trump administration should wear. Join Slate Plus! Members get bonus segments, exclusive member-only podcasts, and more. Sign up for a free trial today at slate.com/gabfestplus.
Topic ideas for next week? You can tweet suggestions, links, and questions to @SlateGabfest (#heygabfest). (Tweets may be quoted by name unless the writer stipulates otherwise.)
Become a fan of the Political Gabfest on Facebook. We post to the Facebook page throughout the week, so keep the conversation going by joining us there. Or follow us @SlateGabfest. The email address for the Political Gabfest is firstname.lastname@example.org. (Email may be quoted by name unless the writer stipulates otherwise.)
Podcast production by Jocelyn Frank. Links compiled by Izzy Rode.