To listen to the discussion, use the player below:
On this week’s Slate Political Gabfest, Emily Bazelon; New York Times columnist Ross Douthat; and Ruth Marcus, deputy editor with the Washington Post’s editorial page, discuss the GOP’s proposed tax “reform,” Roy Moore’s victory in Alabama, and Trump’s attack on pro athletes.
Here are some of the links and references from this week’s show:
- Ruth Marcus for the Washington Post: “Where Are All the President’s Women?”
- Julie Hirschfeld Davis and Alan Rappeport for the New York Times: “Trump Proposes the Most Sweeping Tax Overhaul in Decades”
- Brian Lyman for the Montgomery Advertiser: “Robert Bentley Appoints Luther Strange to U.S. Senate”
- Harry Enten for FiveThirtyEight: “The NFL Protests May Be Unpopular Now, but That Doesn’t Mean They’ll End That Way”
- Ross Douthat for the New York Times: “Trump’s Empty Culture Wars”
Here are this week’s cocktail chatters:
Join Slate Plus! Members get bonus segments, exclusive member-only podcasts, and more. Sign up for a free trial today at slate.com/gabfestplus.
Topic ideas for next week? You can tweet suggestions, links, and questions to @SlateGabfest (#heygabfest). (Tweets may be quoted by name unless the writer stipulates otherwise.)
Become a fan of the Political Gabfest on Facebook. We post to the Facebook page throughout the week, so keep the conversation going by joining us there. Or follow us @SlateGabfest. The email address for the Political Gabfest is firstname.lastname@example.org. (Email may be quoted by name unless the writer stipulates otherwise.)
Podcast production by Jocelyn Frank. Links compiled by Izzy Rode.