To listen to the discussion, use the player below:
On this week’s Slate Political Gabfest, Emily Bazelon, John Dickerson, and David Plotz discuss health care, Jeff Sessions, and trans people in the military.
Here are some of the links and references from this week’s show:
- Dartmouth’s “Bright Line Watch” initiative to monitor the state of American democracy
- Ross Douthat writes in the New York Times: “A Trump Tower of Absolute Folly”
- President Donald Trump’s anti-immigrant speech in Ohio
- Rachael Bade and Josh Dawsey write in Politico: “Inside Trump’s Snap Decision to Ban Transgender Troops”
- The RAND study “Assessing the Implications of Allowing Transgender Personnel to Serve Openly”
Here are this week’s cocktail chatters:
For this week’s Slate Plus bonus segment the hosts discuss Trump’s speech at the Boy Scout Jamboree. Join Slate Plus! Members get bonus segments, exclusive member-only podcasts, and more. Sign up for a free trial today at slate.com/gabfestplus.
Topic ideas for next week? You can tweet suggestions, links, and questions to @SlateGabfest (#heygabfest). (Tweets may be quoted by name unless the writer stipulates otherwise.)
Become a fan of the Political Gabfest on Facebook. We post to the Facebook page throughout the week, so keep the conversation going by joining us there. Or follow us @SlateGabfest. The email address for the Political Gabfest is firstname.lastname@example.org. (Email may be quoted by name unless the writer stipulates otherwise.)
Podcast production by Jocelyn Frank. Links compiled by Kevin Townsend.