To listen to the discussion, use the player below:
Become a fan of the Political Gabfest on Facebook. We post to the Facebook page throughout the week, so keep the conversation going by joining us there. Or follow us @SlateGabfest. The email address for the Political Gabfest is email@example.com. (Email may be quoted by name unless the writer stipulates otherwise.)
The Political Gabfest is brought to you by Stamps.com. Buy and print official U.S. postage using your own computer and printer. Sign up for Stamps.com and get a four-week trial when you use promo code gabfest.
And by Texture. Texture lets you stay up to date with your favorite magazines, all in one place. Right now, get a 14-day free trial when you sign up at Texture.com/gabfest.
And by Harry’s. Get the smooth shave you deserve. Right now Harry’s is giving away its trial set for free when you sign up—you just cover the shipping. Go to Harrys.com/political to redeem your free trial offer.
For this week’s Slate Plus bonus segment the hosts discuss a new take on the emoluments clause. Join Slate Plus! Members get bonus segments, exclusive member-only podcasts, and more. Sign up for a free trial today at slate.com/gabfestplus.
On this week’s Slate Political Gabfest, Emily Bazelon, John Dickerson, and David Plotz discuss Trump’s Russia connections, Obamacare repeal efforts, and Trump abandoning the two-state solution to Israel.
Here are some of the links and references from this week’s show:
- The New York Times report: “Trump Campaign Aides Had Repeated Contacts With Russian Intelligence”
- The New York Times report: “Trump Was Informed 17 Days Ago That Flynn Had Not Been Truthful on Russia”
- Julia Ioffe writes in the Atlantic: “Trump’s Russia Reset Will Survive Flynn’s Ouster”
- Robert Draper in the New York Times Magazine: “Will Obamacare Really Go Under the Knife?”
- Thomas Kaplan writes in the New York Times: “Angry Town Hall Meetings on Health Care Law, and Few Answers”
Emily chatters about Immigrations and Customs Enforcement arresting a victim of domestic violence.
Topic ideas for next week? You can tweet suggestions, links, and questions to @SlateGabfest (#heygabfest). (Tweets may be quoted by name unless the writer stipulates otherwise.)
Podcast production by Jocelyn Frank. Links compiled by Kevin Townsend.