To listen to the discussion, use the player below:
Become a fan of the Political Gabfest on Facebook. We post to the Facebook page throughout the week, so keep the conversation going by joining us there. Or follow us @SlateGabfest. The email address for the Political Gabfest is email@example.com. (Email may be quoted by name unless the writer stipulates otherwise.)
The Political Gabfest is brought to you by Stamps.com. Buy and print official U.S. postage using your own computer and printer. Sign up for Stamps.com and get a four-week trial when you use promo code gabfest.
And by Rocket Mortgage from Quicken Loans. When it comes to the big decision of choosing a mortgage lender, work with one that has your best interests in mind. Use Rocket Mortgage for a transparent, trustworthy home loan process that’s completely online at QuickenLoans.com/Gabfest.
And by Vistaprint. Get 500 business cards starting at just $9.99 by going to Vistaprint.com and using promo code gabfest at checkout.
For this week’s Slate Plus bonus segment the hosts compare anti-Trump protests to Vietnam protests. Join Slate Plus! Members get bonus segments, exclusive member-only podcasts, and more. Sign up for a free trial today at slate.com/gabfestplus.
On this week’s Slate Political Gabfest, Emily Bazelon, John Dickerson, and David Plotz discuss the legal challenge to Trump’s immigration ban, Senate confirmations, and Saturday Night Live’s White House satire.
Here are some of the links and references from this week’s show:
- David French in the National Review: “Does Donald Trump Understand that Chaos Has a Cost?”
- Ryan Lizza in the New Yorker: “How President Trump Could Seize More Power After a Terrorist Attack”
- Jack Goldsmith in Lawfare: “Does Trump Want to Lose the EO Battle in Court? Or Is Donald McGahn Simply Ineffectual (or Worse)?”
- Nora Ellingsen in Lawfare: “It’s Not Foreigners Who Are Plotting Here: What the Data Really Show”
- Ezra Klein in Vox: “How to Stop an Autocracy”
- Politico reports on Trump’s response to Melissa McCarthy’s spoof of Sean Spicer
Emily chatters about Trump tweeting at Nordstrom and whether it can sue him for it.
David chatters about nonprofit The Bronx Defenders and job opportunities at Atlas Obscura.
Topic ideas for next week? You can tweet suggestions, links, and questions to @SlateGabfest (#heygabfest). (Tweets may be quoted by name unless the writer stipulates otherwise.)
Podcast production by Jocelyn Frank. Links compiled by Kevin Townsend.